Cadillac XT5 Crossover Outsells Company's Entire Sedan Lineup
Will sedans become obsolete?
The Cadillac XT-5 is more of a CUV—a crossover utility vehicle—than an SUV. Equipped for luxurious around-town commuting, it has enough space for groceries and handbags while giving some extra ground clearance for safety and inclement weather. The XT-5 is the American automaker's most successful model, selling in big number since its introduction—but we already knew that. What we didn't know is just how much it outsold Cadillac's other cars, which turns out to be a lot. In fact, there were 5,280 XT-5s sold in March alone, a figure that dwarfs the number of the automaker's entire sedan range, which collectively sold 4,701, according to Automotive News' Nick Bunkley.
It's no secret that crossovers are taking the market, but this is certainly eye opening. Cadillac's popularity in America only furthers the strength of this claim. The luxury sedan segment for the brand consists of ATS, CT6, CTS, and CT6, all of which are successful in the manufacturer's home country. It isn't until you see it on paper that you recognize how many XT-5s are on the road today, and that's not even counting the rest of Cadillac's utility lineup.
We expect this trend to continue on to other manufacturers as well. With America's affection for utility vehicles, the downfall for the four-door sedan is quickly approaching. Sure, sedans always have a place in the market, but their popularity is quickly being substituted by CUVs and SUVs like the XT-5.
- RELATEDCadillac Paving the Way In Vehicle-To-Vehicle "Mesh Communication"Cars talking to one another could mean less traffic related fatalities.READ NOW
- RELATEDCadillac Plans to Offer 10 Different Models by 2021Half of them will be crossovers.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Ringbrothers 1948 Cadillac Coupe Has ATS-V UnderpinningsRetrofitting a 464-horsepower, twin-turbo V6 into a '40s Caddy? Sure, why not.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Cadillac CTS-V Runs a Quarter-Mile in 7 SecondsA 106-mm turbo helps makes three times the horsepower of a factory CTS-V—and melt your brain.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Cadillac CTS To Feature V2V Communication as StandardThis is just the beginning for the safety breakthrough.READ NOW