Mazda Gives the MX-5 Miata a Hardtop Option…But Just for Racing Customers
The removable hardtop will be available exclusively for the MX-5 Cup.
If you haven't been able to take your Mazda MX-5 Cup car to some races because of hardtop requirements, fret no more. Mazda Motorsports has just announced that both MX-5 Cup owners and prospective owners alike can now order a factory-approved removable hardtop, so you won't be precluded from any future races.
David Cook, business development manager at Mazda Motorsports, said, "While our first year was spent concentrating on the successful launch of the MX-5 Cup car in our Battery Tender Global Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires, we knew that was just one arena for customers. Now with an available hardtop, Mazda racers can compete in SCCA and NASA Club Racing and in the Pirelli World Challenge TCA class."
It won't be cheap, though. The removable hardtop will cost $4,420—18 percent of the cost of a brand-new Miata street car.
Mazda Motorsports will be taking orders from both current MX-5 Cup owners and folks who have have committed to purchasing the track-only Miata. Deliveries will begin next month.
- RELATEDIs a 525-HP Corvette V-8 Too Much Engine For an ND-Gen Mazda MX-5 Miata?DRIVETRIBE's Henry Catchpole takes the Flyin' Miata V8 MX-5 to Willow Springs's Horse Thief Mile circuit.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Mazda MX-5 RF Kuro SEMA Concept Is a Meaner and Sportier Targa MiataMazda also manages to shed even more weight off the MX-5 Speedster concept.READ NOW
- RELATEDMazda Reveals the Launch Miata RF and VW Set to Debut A 300-mile EV: The Evening RushPlus, upgrade your car's tech with Automatic Pro and grab a pair of wooden speakers by Grovemade.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere’s How You Can Love the Mazda MX-5 Miata and Save $25,000A used first-generation Miata will leave you just as happy as the new one.READ NOW
- RELATEDWe Talked to the Man Restoring Louisiana's Flooded Mazda MiataA kind soul is putting his heart into fixing up the car that was part of a viral sensation.READ NOW