NYPD Officer Hit by Suspected Stolen Car in Brooklyn During Traffic Stop
The officer got hit by a car and shot a guy last night. How was your Friday?
Two people were taken into custody Friday night after hitting a police officer in Brooklyn during a traffic stop in which the car they were driving was suspected stolen.
According to the New York Post, NYPD Anti-Crime Unit officers pulled the vehicle over a little after 10:45 p.m. on Friday, close to Riverdale Avenue and Chester Street in Brownsville. The 28-year-old male driver reportedly drove the car onto the sidewalk to try to escape, running into the officer. The injured policeman then apparently fired his weapon into the vehicle, breaking a window and injuring the fleeing suspect behind the wheel.
The officer was later taken to a hospital for a severely bruised right leg.
The 28-year-old assailant as well as a female passenger, also 28 years of age, were taken into police custody with pending charges. As of Saturday morning, whether or not the car they were in was indeed stolen is unclear.
Notably, this wasn't the only instance in which an NYPD officer was hit by a car in the line of duty this week. Another New York cop was struck by a white Jeep Grand Cherokee this past Monday afternoon in Queens, reports the New York Post. Similar to Friday's incident, the two men in the Jeep were reportedly pulled over for driving with fake license plates and tried to speed away from the traffic stop, hitting the officer and knocking him to the ground. That NYPD officer apparently sustained a cut to the head while the two male suspects were later detained after attempting to flee on foot.
- RELATEDOne-Year-Old Toddler Accidentally Run Over by Boston Police Cruiser Now in Recovery: ReportThe young girl suffered a broken collarbone as a result of the incident but is expected to heal completely.READ NOW
- RELATEDKids Driving Off-Road Side-by-Sides Down Chicago Highway Caught on Video but Avoid PoliceA passerby was able to film the drivers, who appeared to be about 10 years old, but they were nowhere to be found by state troopers later on.READ NOW
- RELATEDCanadian Police Are Using Cutouts of Officers Like Scarecrows to Curb SpeedingA small Alberta town has deployed four of the decoys and, apparently, they’re working as intended.READ NOW
- RELATEDSpeeding BMW Causes Brooklyn Building to Collapse Spectacularly After Heavy-Hitting CrashRaw video footage shows the Bimmer knocking the building off its supports around 11:30 p.m. on Monday.READ NOW
- RELATEDFiery Multiple-Car Crash on Brooklyn Bridge Leaves 1 Dead and 5 Others InjuredThe Brooklyn Bridge has been closed both ways as a result of the crash, so you may want to plan ahead.READ NOW