Is This a Leaked Photo of the 992-Gen Porsche 911 GT3 RS?
First the leaked 992 Turbo photos, and now this. Is Stuttgart just teasing us?
An Instagram user has snapped a photo of a vehicle speculated to be a prototype of the next Porsche 911 GT3 RS.
The above photo was uploaded to Instagram on Wednesday by user dalomas, who identified himself as Dale Lomas, driver of the Nürburgring Nordschleife "Race Taxi." This Race Taxi is a paid hot-lap passenger experience, wherein up to three people can ride with an experienced racing driver around the ring, currently in either a Jaguar XJR575 or Jaguar XE SV Project 8. Lomas presumably snapped the photo of this 991 variant while on a work day at the 'Ring, where many manufacturers test prototype sports cars to refine their handling.
Depicted in Lomas's photo is a version of the 992-generation 911 with widened fenders, a raised wing, and reconfigured taillights, none of which have been seen prior on the platform. They bear little if any resemblance to the allegedly leaked images of the 992-generation 911 Turbo, which likely means the photographed vehicle is different from any known 992 variant. This supposed 992 GT3RS features a pair of exhaust pipes that exit in the center, akin to the last 911 GT3, whereas the claimed 992 Turbo images depict a vehicle with exhausts exiting further toward the edges of the rear bumper.
Engines for the 992 GT3 and GT3 RS have been the subject of intense speculation, with multiple publications alleging that the traditionally naturally aspirated model will become turbocharged. A 911 program spokesperson reportedly confirmed at the 992's Australia launch that the upcoming GT3 will use a 4.0-liter naturally aspirated flat-six of a spec halfway between that of the last 911 GT3 and the 911 GT3 R race car's engine. This engine will reportedly be linked to either a seven-speed PDK double-clutch transmission or a manual transmission.
Until we hear an official statement from Porsche, take this photo with a grain of salt.
- RELATED2020 Porsche 911 Turbo Photos Leak From Inside Assembly Line: ReportAn unofficial look at what is very likely the 992's luxurious, supercar-rivaling variant.READ NOW
- RELATED992-Gen Porsche 911 GT3 Will be Naturally Aspirated, Get an Optional Manual Gearbox: ReportIt may also rock the biggest production 911 engine ever.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S First Drive: The 992 Brings More of the Same Old ExcellenceA new 911 product cycle begins all over again, but can the latest Carrera stay on top of the sports car world?READ NOW
- RELATEDListen to the New 992-Generation Porsche 911 Rip Around HockenheimringTurns out, the new Carrera S is quite the vocalist.READ NOW
- RELATED992-Gen Porsche 911 Will Go Hybrid, and Here's How: ReportIn regards to powertrain specs, one Porsche exec is pointing to Panamera S E-Hybrid as a reference point.READ NOW