Audi Q3-Sized Electric Crossover to Arrive by 2021: Report
The next addition to the E-Tron family will reportedly be built at the Zwickau plant in Germany.
Audi has some ambitious plans for an electrified future, which involves growing its E-Tron line of all-electric vehicles with a midsize crossover, a sedan, a Sportback, and now it sounds like a smaller crossover will be joining the lineup, if anonymous sources cited by Bloomberg are to be believed. That would certainly explain what's under the sheet in this recently-dropped teaser from Audi.
“We [Audi] have confirmed the E-Tron, E-Tron Sportback and the E-Tron GT coming in the next three years,” said an Audi representative in an email to The Drive. “Other variants are not confirmed for the US market at present.”
As unofficial as this report may be, it sure sounds like a real product that we could see existing in a few years. It’s easy to see a Q3-sized EV from Audi being a hit, especially assuming it will have strong range and performance numbers at a price that’s within reach of the masses.
Bloomberg’s sources say the compact EV crossover will be built at the Volkswagen Zwickau factory in Germany, which currently builds Golfs and Passats. The massive facility is about to undergo a $1.4-billion makeover to become the manufacturing heart of the VW conglomerate’s electrification push, and estimates put annual EV production from the Zwickau plant at up to 330,000 units per year.
What we can confirm is that the VW group is planning on making six EVs at Zwickau by 2021 and that one of them will be the I.D. Crozz crossover and two of them will be Audis. We wouldn’t be surprised if a compact crossover was one of them.
- RELATEDAudi Teases Smaller, More Affordable Electric E-Tron Crossover Ahead of Geneva RevealThe smaller Audi E-Tron is expected to ride on the Volkswagen Group's MEB platform and be similar to the Q3 in size.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Exec Announces 50-Car Production Run of 671-HP PB18 E-tron: ReportAudi's handsome PB18 E-tron reportedly won't be doomed to fade into obscurity as a concept car.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Audi E-tron First Drive: The VW Group's War on Tesla—and Gasoline—Starts HereAudi’s new electric E=tron SUV blends technology and design in whole new ways, making EV driving a simplified pleasure.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Drawing Up Faster and Cheaper E-tron Crossovers: ReportVersions of the Audi E-tron electric crossover are reportedly on the way in both austere and ostentatious guises.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Gorgeous Audi E-Tron GT Drive Under Its Own PowerThe Audi e-tron GT may be whisper-quiet, but it's still packing 590 horsepower and Quattro all-wheel drive.READ NOW