Ken Block's New 'Hoonitruck' Is a Fire-Breathing, 900-HP, Vintage Ford F-150
The new Gymkhana project shoves an EcoBoost V6 from the Ford GT supercar into a 1977 F-150.
Rally driver Ken Block and the crew at Hoonigan revealed the vehicle that will be starring in the tenth iteration of Block's Gymkhana stunt video series. Taking over the role from classic-inspired Hoonicorn Mustang is a heavily modified 1977 F-150 pickup, now powered by a Ford GT 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 that's been cranked up to 914 horsepower and 702 pound-feet of torque.
The Hoonitruck has been in the works for the past two years, as a joint project between Block's team and the North Carolina-based muscle car shop, Detroit Speed. A YouTube video released by Hoonigan shows off the build in all its glory and shares some additional details.
Ken Block first learned to drive in a 1977 F-150, so he made a sentimental choice when it came time to pick a new vehicle for the Gymkhana series. Although the Hoonitruck's engine is totally new, some engineering elements have been carried over from Block's old Mustang, including the all-wheel-drive system and six-speed sequential gearbox. While the truck's bodywork looks mostly standard, it's actually all brand new. Made from aluminum hand-hammered by the team at Detroit Speed. At the vehicle's corners, massive fender flares hang over custom Fifteen52 wheel with integrated bead locks.
“I’m beyond pleased with how it turned out, it’s simply one of the most badass and unique vehicles I’ve seen in a long time and I think it compliments my Hoonicorn perfectly," Ken Block stated in a release from Hoonigan. "It’s also crazy to be throwing something around that’s this size when doing Gymkhana-style driving. But, it looks absolutely wild on camera, and that was our goal from the start."
The Hoonitruck will be on display during SEMA 2018 at the Toyo Tires booth. Viewers can watch the pickup get thrashed when Gymkhana 10 is released on Amazon Prime Dec. 7. For those without a Prime subscription, the episode will go public on the Hoonigan Youtube channel one week later.
- RELATEDPoetic Ford Mustang Ad Banned in Great Britain For Promoting 'Unsafe Driving'Rage against the dying of the light...but at a sensible speed, please.READ NOW
- RELATEDPower-Sliding the 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt: Drifting the Tires Off the New McQueen Muscle CarWhat do you do when you've got a 480-hp retro-inspired muscle car and an open track to play on? Get sideways, of course.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Brings Self-Driving Tech and Jobs to the Nation’s CapitalThe autonomous technology division will test its capabilities in one of the most confusing street layouts in the U.S.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Heads to SEMA With Five Custom SUVsThe company has partnered with five different tuner shops to create these modified rides.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord: 350 More GT Supercars on the WayMissed the boat on round one of limited production Ford GT reservations? Get your name in the hat fast, because they're making 350 more.READ NOW