PSA Groupe Outlines 15 Target States for U.S. Market Reentry
The French want to sell cars again in America. See if they think you're a potential buyer.
French automaker conglomerate PSA Groupe intends to start selling cars again in the United States by 2026. It opened continental headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia in January, and it revealed Tuesday 14 of 15 states it is eyeing as the most promising markets, as well as four Canadian provinces.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
"Those states are of the most interest to me at this point in time because they're high-volume and import receptive," stated PSA North America's CEO Larry Dominique, as reported by Automotive News. Rhode Island was not disclosed by Dominique to Automotive News and was instead shared with The Drive via email. Dominique also pointed out the company's intended Canadian drop zones: Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and of course, Quebec.
The brand with which PSA Groupe will return to the states (it owns Peugeot, Citroën, DS, Opel, and Vauxhall) has not yet been determined, and the company's decision is not expected until 2019.
PSA Groupe is at present utilizing its mobility aggregator app 'Free2Move' to dig a financial foothold into the dirt of North America. The service has proved successful enough in its U.S. pilot market of Seattle, Washington that the company plans to expand its availability to new areas of the country. We speculate its regional home of Atlanta could be on the shortlist, but PSA has not yet returned comment on this prospect.
"It is important to understand our Free2Move application is a globally operational app," stated Dominique in an email to The Drive. "If you download it, it works anywhere we have global mobility partners."
"We will be actively marketing our application in three cities this year, two in the U.S. and one in Canada," the PSA exec concluded. "We will announce the city names soon. F2M is the first leg of our three-phase plan to re-enter North America."
- RELATEDPSA Groupe to Expand Free2Move Service in the United StatesPSA Groupe plans to get a foothold in the U.S. market before returning as an automaker some time in the next decade.READ NOW
- RELATEDPSA Peugeot Citroën's DS Brand to Sell Only Electrified Vehicles Starting In 2025The French brand's first all-electric model debuts later this year.READ NOW
- RELATEDPSA and Huawei Team up on Connected-Car TechPSA wants cars to become part of the Internet of Things.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Three-Rotor Peugeot 205 Go Wild at the Goodwood Festival of SpeedThis Peugeot 205 GTI has a mid-mounted three rotor engine, and boy is it rowdy.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Citroën SM Is the Greatest GT of All Time, and I'm Selling Mine—Here's WhyThis example of the most perfect grand tourer of all time can be yours. And, yes: of course there's a catch.READ NOW