Would You Buy This Bizarre Custom Genesis G80 Pickup?
The former luxury sedan has enough diamond plating to put oil rigs to shame.
We truly don't know what to make of our most recent Craigslist find. From what we've seen, this is the only Hyundai Genesis G80 with a retrofitted rear-end. This particular 2015 Genesis G80 started life as a 5.0-liter V8 with only 1,365 miles when it got into a rear-end collision causing enough damage to render the vehicle totalled, according to its Craigslist ad.
Rather than scrapping the vehicle, the owner decided to turn it into his own diamond-plated creation. The owner removed the rear-end and replaced it with a custom utility box type design. According to the Craigslist ad, the Genesis was split 12 inches behind the front door and a 12x36 inch window was placed in the middle of a mounted steel plate. Even though there appears to be a significant amount of metal added to the vehicle, the owner is reporting it is still lighter than the original G80 from which it took form. The owner also claims its 450 horsepower V8 makes the performance comparable to the C7 Corvette...which, on paper, is correct.
Electronically, the car seems to be in shambles, the Craigslist ad states the electronic parking brake, speakers, and check engine light do not work, so we can only assume the airbag will go off when you activate your right blinker. The seller is asking $16,500 for the low-mileage Genesis G80, which would be completely ridiculous if the vehicle was intact—2015 models are currently going for around $50,000. Still, The Drive is hesitant to pay over $5,000 for such a bizarre and potentially deadly contraption.
- RELATED2018 Genesis G80 Sport to Start at $55,250If you want the fun Genesis, you'll have to pay up.READ NOW
- RELATEDGenesis Launches Amazon Alexa Connectivity for G80, G90 ModelsHyundai's luxury division wants you to be able to go all JARVIS on your luxury sedan.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevy Sells More Than 100,000 Volts and Genesis Releases Pricing for the G80: The Evening RushPlus, a super-portable and tasty pints for 350 Brewing Company.READ NOW
- RELATEDGenesis G90 is a Generous and Thoughtful Luxury SedanThe 2017 Genesis G90 exhibits great design choices, top notch materials and good looks inside and out. And the 5.0 Ultimate RWD that we tested also brought the performance, 420 horses from a 5.0-liter V8.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Genesis G90 Lowballs Mercedes-Benz, Tweaks LexusThe new flagship from the luxury artist formerly known as Hyundai.READ NOW