Audi E-Tron Sportback Concept Is a Production-Bound Electric Crossover Coupe
Audi says it will enter production in 2019.
Audi is set to unveil a new electric SUV-coupe concept at the Shanghai Auto Show this week. The E-Tron Sportback Concept, announced in a press release Tuesday, is a four-door SUV with a body design similar to that of the BMW X6 and Mercedes-Benz GLE coupe. Unlike those production cars, this concept is powered by a 320-kW electric powertrain that has the ability to charge up to 370kW.
The concept can manage 310 miles of full-electric range and launch from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 4.5 seconds—which, compared to the Tesla Model X P100D's 2.9 seconds, isn't quite as impressive as we might like. The E-Tron Sportback uses one motor in the front and a double motor setup in the rear, and a 95-kWh battery pack to achieve those numbers, according to the press release.
“Our Audi e-tron will be starting out in 2018—the first electric car in its competitive field that is fit for everyday use," said Audi AG chairman Rupert Stadler in the press release. "Following close on its heels, in 2019, comes the production version of the Audi e-tron Sportback—an emotional coupé version that is thrillingly identifiable as an electric car at the very first glance.”
Design-wise, this new concept looks like a bulked-up Audi A7. Big bloated fenders but a sleek roofline contribute to this. Also, there are 23-inch wheels, which are definitely overkill—but remember, it is a concept.
- RELATEDOne-Quarter of U.S. Miles Driven Could Be in Self-Driving Electric Cars by 2030, Study SaysSelf-driving cars could explode in popularity in a relatively short period of time, according to The Boston Consulting Group.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs Porsche's Panamera Turbo Really The Greatest GT Car?Compared to Aston Martin's DB11 and McLaren's 570GT, it might be.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche 911 Turbo Takes On Acura NSX & Audi R8 V10 In The WetTop Gear's Chris Harris takes the three premier all-weather supercars for a very rainy track sessionREAD NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Audi RS6 Avant Whip a Nissan GT-RTwo super-fast cars duke it out in a straight line—and the station wagon takes the win.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Greenlights Production of Q8 SUV for 2020 Model Year ReleaseAudi announced its plans to manufacturer its new Q8 SUV for release in late 2019.READ NOW