2018 Ford Mustang GT Makes 460 HP, Does 0-60 MPH in Under 4 Seconds
With more horsepower and an all-new 10-speed automatic transmission, the updated Mustang is quicker to 60 than a Porsche 911.
Just because the Ford Mustang is becoming a well-rounded sports car doesn't mean it's forgotten about its drag racing roots. Ford announced Monday that the 2018 Mustang GT will be the fastest Mustang ever, capable of 0-60 mile-per-hour acceleration in less than four seconds. That's faster than many "true sports cars," including the base version of the Porsche 911.
The new Ford Mustang GT features an improved 5.0-liter V8 engine, generating 460 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. That's a significant improvement over the 2017 model's 435 horsepower and 400 pound-feet. Ford's 10-speed automatic transmission will be available in the Mustang for the first time, further improving its acceleration capabilities. While we may find a manual transmission more fun, automatics are darn quick these days; they shift faster than a human can, and make missing a shift impossible. The 10-speed automatic allows lower gears at the bottom end for improved acceleration without giving up the economic high gears on the top end.
A new Drag Strip mode will be available for the 2018 model that will optimize your launch, as well as your shifts. When in Drag Strip mode, the engine will continue to generate torque while shifting rather than dropping power for gear shifts. Most of the benefits of Drag Strip mode occur in the automatic transmission. Stick drivers will see some improvements, but it's mostly about the programming and execution of the shifts to launch the Mustang as quickly as possible. The Performance Pack will equip the Mustang GT with grippy Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The combination of all of these components is what makes a sub-four second 0-60 time possible.
Drivers of EcoBoost Mustang don't lose out, either. Though engine output remains at 310 horsepower for 2018, torque increases from 320 pound-feet to 350. Ecoboost models will also be available with the 10-speed automatic transmission, and Drag Strip mode will propel the car from 0-60 in less than 5.0 seconds.
Pricing has not yet been announced for the 2018 Mustang, but you can find out for yourself on July 25 when you can build and price your own on Ford's web site. The new Mustang will be available this fall.
- RELATEDCheck Out The 2018 Ford Mustang Pony Package In All Its Retro GloryAn old-school look for the next version of America's first pony car.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Vaughn Gittin Jr. Drift Up the Goodwood Hill Climb in His 950-HP Ford Mustang RTRFrom his own point of view, no less.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Makes a Mustang-Inspired Ice Cream Sandwich for National Ice Cream DayFord has the perfect snack for your next Rocky Roadtrip.READ NOW
- RELATEDOhio Ford Dealership Is Selling 10-Second Mustangs for $60,000Is a Dodge Challenger SRT Demon even worth the extra $25,000?READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Ford Mustang Order Guide Leaks Onto Mustang6g ForumLooks like Mustang fans are about to get a lot more options.READ NOW