Uncovering Dusty Porsches With Tom Cotter
There are still some dusty Porsche classics tucked away in barns and garages
There is just so much good video content online these days, and its difficult to keep up with all of it. I was recently introduced to famous vintage car archeologist (Carcheologist?) Tom Cotter's YouTube series with Hagerty insurance called "The Barn Find Hunter", and I've been unable to stop watching it since. You might know Tom from his successful "The Cobra In The Barn" book and subsequent sequels, and you'll know he's an avid hunter for vintage sheetmetal. Occasionally on this show, he'll turn up an old Porsche, and those are the episodes that really get me excited, for obvious reasons.
This is episode 6 of The Barn Find Hunter, in which Tom uncovers a gorgeous 356 Speedster in a garage. It's a spectacularly original car, and even includes the rare hard top. In the episode Tom discusses the car with the widow of the owner, who purchased this A back in 1967. The car has been in her family, in this garage, since that time. She's got some touching stories to tell about the car, and they're worth hearing.
An older episode, this one Episode 4, uncovers a group of sports cars, including a couple old Porsches, a pair of 356Cs, including this beautifully patinated 356 Coupe. There are cars like this all over the place, you just have to dig them out of their tombs.
If you're a fanatic about vintage cars like I am, you should instantly subscribe to this show and watch every episode. The great thing about coming to a show after they've already produced a bunch of episodes is that you can binge-watch the whole series. These are short episodes, and you could blaze through this show in a day if you were ambitious about it.
- RELATEDRide Onboard With Porsche 356 Vintage Racing Legend Vic SkirmantsFrom a Le Mans-style start to dicing with big V8s, this video has it allREAD NOW
- RELATEDThis 356 Speedster “Barn Find” Just Sold For $605,000The Auctions America sale in Hilton Head, SC this weekend produced this hugely surprising sale number. I'm sure the seller is pretty happy with the result.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Custom Air-Cooled Porsche Barn Find Spent 40 Years SittingAnd, after being discovered under a tarpaulin in Texas, it’s up for sale.READ NOW
- RELATEDThere's an Incredible Barn Find Story Unfolding on the Corvette ForumsWhile unpacking the garage of a former GM associate, one forum member finds a piece of history.READ NOW
- RELATEDPicking up a Porsche 911 R, Touring Mercedes-AMG, and Nürburgring Hot Laps: Playing Collector for the WeekendMega-collector Andrew Zalasin had the Porsche factory customize his rare new 911 R. I went along for the ride—and hit another couple bucket-list stops along the way.READ NOW