Austin Police Report 5 New Carbon Monoxide Incidents With Ford Interceptors
Are these incidents becoming more and more frequent?
Carbon monoxide leaks on Ford Interceptor Utilities continue to be an issue as the Austin Police Department allegedly experienced five separate just incidents this past weekend, according to Austin's KVUE.
One incident Saturday, two incidents Sunday, and one incident Monday has led to great concern in the department. General reports indicate that the alleged leaks occur during acceleration and when the air conditioning is on. On Saturday, an officer reported his carbon monoxide alarm went off seven times throughout his tour and by the end of the tour he was complaining of a headache and other possible CO poisoning symptoms. He was checked out by Austin Fire Rescue and reportedly said to be okay.
On Sunday, two more incidents occurred, both of which resulted in confirmed elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the blood stream, one officer also reported feeling symptoms of CO poisoning. Then two more incidents happened Monday striking the question of whether or not this is going to become a more frequent occurrence as fleets age.
It's unclear if this issue might become more prominent as patrol units get older and their compartment sealants crack and become compromised. Ford has failed to find a solution for this issue even though more than 450 reports have been made.
Ford and NHTSA are currently investigating these incidents but have yet to come to a conclusion.
- RELATEDCarbon Monoxide Leaks Still Seem to Be Plaguing Ford Interceptor Utility Cop CarsPolice departments across the country are being forced to deal with carbon monoxide-filled patrol cars.READ NOW
- RELATEDTwo Killed by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Modified Ford Fiesta STThe British driver had installed a modified exhaust system in a bid to boost performance.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord’s New Interceptor Utility Police Car Is StealthyLooking for external light bars is no longer an option.READ NOW
- RELATEDChicago Police to Add 500 Tech-Equipped Ford Interceptors to FleetCPD hopes this will help reduce the crime in the violence-ridden neighborhoods.READ NOW
- RELATEDJustin Timberlake Will Sing at This Year's U.S. Grand Prix in AustinHey, anything that gets Americans to pay attention to Formula One works for us, we suppose.READ NOW