Drive Wire for December 8, 2016: The 2017 Dodge Challenger GT Is the First AWD Muscle Car
It may not have a Hemi, but at least it has launch control.
Hey there. Devin Altieri here for Drive Wire on December 8th, 2016.
Today on Drive Wire: Dodge has announced the first all-wheel-drive muscle car with the 2017 Challenger GT.
While we've known about the impending Challenger GT for a couple of months now, the fact that it will be all-wheel-drive instead of the standard rear does come as a surprise. People have been retrofitting all-wheel-drive systems to muscle cars for years, but the new Dodge Challenger GT will be the first muscle car with no retrofitting necessary.
Aside from the all-wheel drivetrain, the new Challenger GT will come with Dodge's 3.6-liter V6 and eight-speed automatic transmission. It's not the V8 Hemi we were hoping for, but even without, the car will still boast a solid 305 horsepower and some cool metal paddleshifters, all for just under $34,000.
And for those of you worried the all-wheel-drive will ruin your snow drift abilities, Dodge was quick to point out that the three-mode electronic stability control system in the GT will make drifting a breeze.
That’s it for Drive Wire on December 8th, 2016. I’m Devin Altieri; thanks for watching, and please check out The Drive for more on the big stories from the transportation world.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for December 6, 2016: For $56,000 You Can Own a Hellcat Powered Wrangler*Wrangler not includedREAD NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for December 6, 2016: 120 BMW SUVs Damaged in South Carolina Train CrashThe train was carrying a load of new Bimmers away from the carmaker’s Spartanburg plant.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for December 5th, 2016: 500th LaFerrari Auctioned Off For $7 MillionAll proceeds will go to Central Italy earthquake victims.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for December 5th, 2016: Hamilton Isn't Punished For F1 ShenanigansHamilton gets off easy after Rosberg announces retirement.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for December 1st, 2016: Ferrari Auctions Off LaFerrari For A Good CauseThe 500th LaFerrari proceeds will aid the Central Italy earthquake victims.READ NOW