Drive Wire for September 16, 2017: Developments in the Deaths of Robby Gordon’s Family
Police speculate that Gordon's father strangled his stepmother before committing suicide
The violent deaths of Robert “Baja Bob” and Sharon Gordon—the father and stepmother of ex-NASCAR driver and Stadium Super Trucks founder Robby Gordon—shook the racing community this week.
In a news conference in front of his father’s house, Gordon choked back tears as he told the media, “This is devastating. [My father] taught so many, and I want everyone to know what a good man he was.”
Some disturbing details have emerged over the course of the investigation. According to the results of an autopsy by the Orange County coroner’s office, desert racing legend Bob Gordon died from injuries consistent with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, while Sharon Gordon died from strangulation.
The police are investigating the deaths as a possible murder-suicide, and added that there are no known witnesses.
This weekend, the SST race will take place as scheduled in Costa Mesa, though Gordon is not expected to compete, and Ryan Hunter-Reay, who is married to Gordon’s sister, Beccy, will race in the IndyCar season closer at Sonoma.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for September 15th, 2016: Mercedes-AMG Debuts Two AMG GT RoadstersTopless brawlers from ze Germans? Yes, please.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for September 14th, 2016: Did Bad Tires Cause The Carrera GT Crash That Killed Paul Walker?According to Matt Farah, old tires were the leading factor in Paul's death.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for September 14th, 2016: Denise Mueller Sets Speed Record on a BicycleDrafting behind a Range Rover SVR, Mueller was able to hit 147 mph.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for September 13th, 2016: Ken Block and Hoonigan Release Gymkhana 9A 600-horsepower Ford Focus RS RX travels to Buffalo, New York to wreak havoc.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for September 12, 2016: Tesla Debuts its 2nd Generation of AutoPilot, the Tesla AutoPilot 8Slow in, fast out. Tesla's AutoPilot 8 will use fleet learning for “curve speed adaptation.”READ NOW