Drive Wire for August 10th, 2016: Bentley Mulls a Diesel Bentayga
Will Bentley buyers accept an oil-burner—even a great V-8?
Today on Drive Wire, rumors of a diesel Bentley SUV.
Though criticisms have been leveled against the Bentley Bentayga’s somewhat-unusual shape, not a single review has said anything against the luxury SUV’s 600-horsepower, twin-turbo W-12 engine. Still, rumors are circling that Bentley might make the torque-rich diesel V-8 from the new Audi SQ7 available in the Bentayga—surprisingly, for reasons of performance, not economy. With two turbos, a 48-volt compressor plus the inherent torquiness of a diesel motor, the 4-liter diesel Audi V-8 provides 664 lb-feet of torque, just like the W-12. However, much of that would be available at a low rev range, providing the instant thrust that Bentley drivers are accustomed to. It’s unclear if Bentley would bring a diesel SUV to the US, considering the reputation of the technology following the VW scandal.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 9th, 2016: London Cop Nailed for Speeding in Wrongly-Impounded LamborghiniEven the coppers aren't exempt from speeding tickets.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 8th, 2016: Europe's First Autonomous Vehicle Track Day AnnouncedEngland's Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground will host the first event before moving onto France and Austria.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 8th, 2016: Japan Approves Cars Without MirrorsUsing video cameras instead could provide fuel economy and safety benefits.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 5th, 2016: Driver Claims Tesla Model S Crashed While on AutopilotThe incident, from a Chinese highway, was captured on camera.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for August 4th, 2016: BMW Restores Elvis Presley's 507 For Pebble BeachTwo years of comprehensive work after forty years of decay and the Fifties sportscar looks mint again.READ NOW