Drive Wire for July 7, 2016: Will the 2017 Chevrolet SS Make 600 Horsepower?
The American sports sedan currently gets by with a “mere” 415 ponies.
Today on Drive Wire, The Drive adds fuel to the fire of the General Motors rumor mill. With what may be its final year closing in, will Chevy bless its slow-selling SS sports sedan with the fire-breathing supercharged V8 shared in various forms between the last-generation Camaro ZL1, Corvette ZR1, and Cadillac CTS-V? Intel from Australia points to a likely "yes." The Chevrolet SS is based off the Australian-market Holden Commodore—and that will score the supercharged V8 for its final year in production, tuned to 600 horsepower and hooked up to a six-speed manual transmission. As the future of the SS is rather uncertain, put The Drive on record as saying a BMW M5-beating, 600-horsepower swan song would be an appropriate way out for the model.
- RELATEDDrive Wire for July 6, 2016: Oakland Man Arrested for Torching Google Street View CarREAD NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for July 5, 2016: Everything We Know About Chris Evans' Sexual Assault ScandalIt's been a very bad week for the former Top Gear presenter.READ NOW
- RELATEDWeekly Wire for July 1, 2016: VW Diesel Payout, the New Porsche Panamera, and Austin's Uber/Drinking ProblemA tough week in Wolfsburg turned out pretty darn well for certain VW diesel owners.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for June 30, 2016: Scientists Turn Pig Manure into AsphaltOrganic matter-based roads would be cheaper and cleaner than conventionally-surfaced ones.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for June 29, 2016: The Mill Blackbird Can Become Any Car in the WorldFully adjustable rig car is poised to shake up how Hollywood uses CGI vehicles.READ NOW