The Definition of a Complete Overland Build
Expedition Overland breaks down their latest Toyota Tacoma project.
You could say I'm a pretty big fan of Expedition Overland and their overall initiative. Sure, most of their production, gear and rigs are way out of reach for the average Overlander but their videos are still motivational while reminding us that we may not REALLY 'bout that life. Hell, I just want to go to the mountains for the weekend. Either way, I'd much rather consume their professionally-curated and sponsored content than all the wannabes out there. If I see another Expedition Overland knock-off series I may possibly pull my hair out.
Expedition Overland's third Toyota Tacoma, a 2016 TRD Double Cab, is by far the most equipped Taco they've ever had. Below are a series of videos reviewing the upgrades in detail. If you have a Tacoma or even a 4Runner, take notes! If you have a non-Toyota like me, sit back and enjoy!
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD
RECOVERY / ARMOR
COMMUNICATION / NAVIGATION
Below is a comprehensive list of the Tacoma's upgrades. Can you afford to add all of this gear to your rig? Probably not. I know I can't. However, this list (especially if you own a Toyota truck) is a fantastic guide for what you may need if you plan on testing the limits of your truck's capabilities.
- Tacoma HabitatAT Overland Equipment Tacoma Habitat truck topper.
- Fridge National Luna Weekender 52 Liter Fridge Freezer Aluminum
- Fridge Slide Adventure Trailer combo fridge slide with Partner Steel cook stove
- Air Compressor ARB On-Board Twin High-Performance Air Compressor, used to fill tires after airing down or fixing a flat.
- Aux Water Tanks Water jerry cans on CBI rear bar swing out
- Aux Gas Jerrys Gas jerry cans on CBI rear bar swing out
- Roof Rack Storage Two hard mounted 42 Liter Aluminum Alu-Box Storage Cases
- K9 Roof Rack Jerry Can Mount, Double Designed to carry two 5 gallon (20 L) Jerry Cans and collapse flat when not in use
DRIVETRAIN / SUSPENSION
- General Tire Grabber X3 General Tire Grabber X3 Tires in 285/70/R16
- Wheels Toyota Black TRD Wheels
- Front Suspension Extended Travel Remote Reservoir Front Coilover Shock Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics
- Rear Suspension V.S. 2.5 Series RR Rear Shocks w/CDCV (0-3″ Lift) by Icon Vehicle Dynamics
- Upper Control Arms Billet Upper Control Arm Kit by Icon Vehicle Dynamics
- Diff Breather ARB Differential Axle Breather
- Front Bumper CBI all aluminium front bumper with 20″ light mount and winch mount.
- Rear Bumper CBI split dual swing out rear bar which relocates spare tire and hold 2 gas/water jerry cans.
- Rock Sliders CBI bolt-on Toyota Tacoma rock sliders are 100% bolt on.
- 40″ Combo light Bar Rigid Industries SR-Series White 40″ Spot/Flood Combo LED Light Bar.
- Reverse Lights Rigid Industries 20251 Dually 60° Lens. Mounted in the CBI rear bumper.
- Area Lights Rigid Industries 86620 White DC Scene Light (Flood, 1X2, 65 Degree).
- Rock Lights Rigid Industries Rock Light Kit 6 Lights Cool White.
- Lighting Security Hardware Rigid Industries Security Hardware Kit for LED Light Bar.
- Habitat Interior Lighting National Luna Hard mount and Clip-on LED Lights
- Maxtrax 2 pairs of Maxtrax MKII. Apollo mounted on the rear wheel using Maxtrax harness, Rufio mounted on roof rack
- Winch WARN 68500 9.5xp 9500-lb Winch with Synthetic Rope – 10000 lb. Capacity
- Hi-lift Jack Hi-Lift Jack 48″ X-TREME, mounted on CBI rear bar
- Recovery kit Warn Medium Duty Winching Accessory Kit
- Winch Shackle Factor 55 FlatLink E
- Tire Repair Kit ARB Orange Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit
- Tire Deflator ARB E-Z Deflator
- Tire Inflator ARB Blue Inflator with Gauge and Braided Hose
- Main Switch Panel 8 Circuit SE System with 2 Touchscreen control panels to accommodate all lights bars, aux lighting.
- Truck Radio Yaesu FTM-400DR Amateur Radio 144/440 Dual Band Mobile Transceiver, 50 Watts
- Truck Satellite Phone Iridium 9575 Extreme Satellite Phone with external antenna.
- Dual battery system National Luna Dual Battery System Kit with Surface Mount Controller, 2 deep cycle batteries held within the Goose Gear box in the bed of the truck.
- Charge Box Goose Gear custom build charge box with 8 x 12v charge sockets and 4 USB charge ports to accommodate all our production charging needs.
- Aux USB & 12v Sockets Additional sockets were added to both the cab interior and charge box to handle personal phones, accessories and production charging.
- GPS/Mapping Hema Explorer 4WD Map App used on an Ipad mini within the Cab.
- Accessory Mounts Ram Mount Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount for Phone Holder, GPS, Ipads, etc.
- Tinted windows Tinted all windows by Bos Window tinting Bozeman, MT
- Custom Vehicle Wrap Vehicle wrap was done by SCS Wraps in Bozeman, MT
MORE TO READ
Nobody Bid on the 2023 Chevy Corvette Z06 NFT
Even throwing in a one-off Corvette Z06 wasn’t enough to get someone to bite.
Inside BMW’s Secret Toy Chest: A V12 Z3 and an E34 M5 Convertible
Watch BMW trot out some oddballs in this 50-year celebration of M cars.