Eight Great Overlanding Instagram Pages
(In no particular order.)
You could make a case that Overlanding would have never got as big as it has without Instagram. But then again, you could say that about virtually any vehicle-oriented niche out there. Here are eight accounts worth following:
Overland Bound was created simply to motivate and assist people in exploring with their vehicles. They’ve even created a set of guidelines that are so good, they’re worth re-posting. If ever you need a reminder as to what Overlanding is all about, always refer to this awesome list.
- Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
- We will not further define "overlanding".
- It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely.
- A connection with the uncivilized, unpredictable, and awe-inspiring wilderness is essential to human existence.
- We leave it better than we found it.
- The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
- You are an Overlander.
- Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature.
- Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
- Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
- Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.
- Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. Help.
- Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
- We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
- We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
- Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
- We don’t brag about exploits.
- We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
- We engage in the smallest of interactions.
- We have fun.
The Expedition Overland guys have the best Overlanding YouTube series that I’ve come across. With backing from some pretty significant sponsors, the production value is amazing and it feels like a legit TV series. Their YouTube series and what they post on Instagram is what Overlanding looks like with a virtually endless budget. Oh, and if you’re not in Toyotas you may want to skip past this one.
Expedition Portal is home to arguably the most popular web forum in the Overlanding world and you could certainly make a case that they have the most popular Overland-focused Instagram page, too. Definitely worth a follow!
Based in Southeast Tennessee, this group has a genuine passion for all things Overlanding. The original content to re-post ratio seems to be about 50/50 which is pretty standard for a page such as this.
Overland Expo is basically the Super Bowl and SEMA of the Overlanding world wrapped into one. They host two expos per year - one in the East and one in the West – and their website and social media channels are extremely helpful.
These guys have some awesome rigs and take them on very cool adventures. The pics from their expeditions are high quality with amazing scenery and I’ve enjoyed following them for a while.
ROCK CREEK OVERLAND
This isn’t the most popular page but the popular pages certainly pilfer a good amount of their content from here. Every image is absolutely gorgeous and they seemed to be just as knowledgeable on media production as they are Overlanding.
DESK TO GLORY
For every general Overlanding page, there are another dozen personal pages cataloging people’s journeys. It's important to include these type of pages in your follows to truly get a glimpse into what life is really like out there on the road. Rich and Ash are a great couple to follow.