Jaguar to Resurrect the XKSS for Nine Lucky Rich Folks
Meet the new Jag, same as the old Jag.
Most car manufacturers' multi-million-dollar, limited-run supercars are flashy, edgy things, packed to the gills with state-of-the-art technology. Jaguar, however, is taking a different tack. Instead of creating a futuristic Chiron or Centenario competitor, they're reaching into their past and building nine brand-new XKSS sports cars.
And these XKSSs will be as legit as it gets. Each one will be handmade by Jaguar Classic, conforming exactly to the specifications of the original XKSS cars the company originally based off the Le Mans-winning D-Type race car. That means they'll each be forged out of aluminum, have a brand-new inline-six beneath their shapely bonnets, and will look like absolute sex on wheels in a way that no car conforming to 21st Century safety regulations can.
Why nine cars? Well, it's not because Ian Callum is a big fan of the White Album. Back in 1957, Jaguar planned on selling 25 copies of the XKSS, but only 16 were delivered before a fire destroyed the Browns Lane factory, claiming the final nine examples. The nine modern models are Jaguar's way leveraging the knowledge they picked up during the Lightweight E-Type project to show fate who's boss.
Should you feel that your life just won't be complete without one of these brand-new old-school supercars parked in your garage, well, be prepared to cash in that Apple stock you've been sitting on since 1984. Each 2017 Jaguar XKSS will cost "in excess of £1 million." If you can scrape that together, though, expect to see your XKSS delivered in the first part of 2017.
- RELATEDDriving a Jaguar F-Type R to the Best Damn Fireworks Shop in AmericaAn epic celebration of combustibles.READ NOW
- RELATEDF1 Driver Obtains Bond Villain’s Jaguar Supercar, Hoons GratuitouslyNo, Mr. Bond. I expect you to slide.READ NOW
- RELATEDCritics’ Notebook: 2016 Jaguar XF-STired of Audi and Mercedes? Here’s your challenge to the established order.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Mercedes-AMG C63 Cabrio Lands in New YorkThere's no better way to hear that sweet, sweet V-8.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 5 Best Details of Lincoln's Excellent, Planet-Sized NavigatorTufted-suede? Two-spoke wooden steering wheel? Lunar Proportions? Yes, please.READ NOW