McLaren 720S GT3 to Make Racing Debut at Gulf 12 Hours in Abu Dhabi
The car will be shown to the public beforehand at the Bahrain GT Festival, in the home country of the automaker's biggest investor.
McLaren Automotive announced Monday that its new 720S GT3 race car, developed entirely in-house, will make both its public and racing debuts in the middle east within a month.
The 720S GT3 is modified from the street car with a full roll cage and racing aero, to keep the car adhered to the tarmac. The torque curve from its 4.0-liter, twin-turbo M840T V-8 has been optimized for racing, and fuel efficiency is increased to reduce the frequency of pit stops. It foregoes the road car's seven-speed dual clutch transmission for a six-speed sequential with an electronic actuator to improve operation. It also has heavily adjustable traction aids, including its differential, traction control, and antilock braking system.
It will launch for the public's viewing on Nov. 30 at the Bahrain GT Festival, in the homeland of Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company, a 30 percent stakeholder in the McLaren Group. Until (and after) then, the 720S GT3 will continue to undergo a rigorous testing program, part of which will involve its race debut at the Gulf 12 Hours, an overnight endurance race held at Yas Marina Circuit, site of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. McLaren hopes this will ready the car for 2019 entry into the myriad international racing series that run FIA GT3-homologated machinery.
"We're looking forward to demonstrating the 720S GT3 at the Bahrain GT Festival, and really thrilled to be competing in the Gulf 12 Hours, which will end an exciting year for the motorsport team," stated Dan Walmsley, director of motorsport at McLaren Automotive. "The 720S GT3 is the first race car designed and built by McLaren Automotive and the development team has worked tirelessly to deliver the grueling test program we devised for the car. We're sure we'll have plenty to learn during the race, and we'll continue with testing after the event. This is an important product for McLaren Automotive, and therefore we have committed to ensuring that our customers receive a product worthy of carrying the iconic brand."
- RELATEDUltra-Rare Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss Listed for Sale With $3M Price TagMercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss being sold by German Mercedes specialists.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's a Small Glimpse of the McLaren 720S Spider That's Coming in DecemberIt'll be the second car released under McLaren's $1.6-billion Track25 business plan.READ NOW
- RELATEDMcLaren 720S Stealth Theme is MSO’s Latest Elite Supercar CreationNearly 200 hours were spent hand-painting minor accents by the manufacturer's dedicated customization team.READ NOW
- RELATEDLexus Rumored to Be Working on 661-HP Lamborghini Urus FighterThe super-crossover will reportedly arrive in 2020 with more horsepower and a lower price than the Lamborghini Urus.READ NOW
- RELATEDFerrari 812 Superfast Hardtop Convertible Coming Soon: ReportIf true, it'll be the first non-special-edition, drop-top, V-12 Ferrari grand tourer since 2006.READ NOW