The New Ford F-150 Raptor Is Goin’ Racing
Swap out a few bits, and this truck is ready to race.
We won’t see the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor on the streets until fall, but when the 2016 Best in the Desert off-road racing series kicks off in Parker, Arizona this week, the new Raptor will be there—and not on display, right in the thick of competition.
The new Ford Raptor will be duking it out in the new factory stock class, which requires competitors to use unmodified factory engines and transmissions. In the Ford, that’ll be a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6, good for 411 horsepower, connected to all four wheels via 10-speed automatic. The race-spec Raptor also keeps its stock Torsen front diff, 17-inch wheels and, of course—Denis Leary voice now, kids—its high-strength military-grade aluminum-alloy body.
In fact, the only major changes Ford Racing made to the 2017 Raptor are a bespoke roll cage, racing seats with five-point harnesses, a minor league baseball stadium-worth of additional LED lights, and tougher, taller springs and shocks to handle the ups, downs and myriad dangers of Parker 142-mile loop. Well, that and one hell of a busy livery.
“Without custom technology or other modifications, this all-new Raptor is ready to prove the toughness and performance in the Best in the Desert series,” Ford truck builder and main race truck driver Greg Foutz said, in what were clearly uncoached remarks.
If you can’t make it out to join the 3,000 residents of Parker for the race February 4–7, no worries—the race-prepper 2017 Raptor will be making appearances at Las Vegas’s Mint 400 in March, the Vegas to Reno race in May, and the four other BITD car and truck races stretching into December. By which time, you won’t need racing to get your Raptor fix.
- RELATEDFord Confirms Hybrid F-150 Coming Before 2020America's best-selling pickup goes green.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: These Spy Shots Suggest the F-150 Is Packing TurbodieselREAD NOW
- RELATEDAfter 102 Years, Ford’s Assembly Line Is Still IncredibleTake a look back at the definitive moment of the “century of the automobile.”READ NOW
- RELATEDComing Soon: The Next Ford BroncoWe believe the new Bronco (and a Ranger) will arrive by 2020.READ NOW
- RELATEDJay Leno Has a Harley-Davidson Ford F-150 to Sell YouIt’s for charity, comes with a free CD and a tour of Leno’s garage.READ NOW