22 Car Entry List Released for 2018 IMSA Long Beach Contest
The 100-minute Californian race drops the GT Daytona class in favor of the all-pro GT Le Mans and Prototype categories.
A stacked field of IMSA competitors will return to Long Beach, California once again this April with a 22-car field set to enter the 100-minute event. With the series' pro-am GT Daytona category missing from the list, entries from the GT Le Mans and Prototype classes will take to the tight city circuit on Saturday the 14th following qualifying the day prior. The contest will be part of the action-stuffed weekend that also includes IndyCar, vintage Trans-Am, and more.
The Prototype grid will stand with 14 entries in total. Wayne Taylor Racing and its No. 10 Cadillac DPi-V.R will be looking to lock in the team's fourth consecutive victory at the event with close competition from Mazda Team Joest, Team Penske Acura, and more expected. The Spirit of Daytona crew will notably be absent from the Long Beach race after a harsh outing at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March that landed its car in rehab following a late-hour crash with Tristan Vautier behind the wheel.
BAR1 Motorsports has also elected to skip out on this round of the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship.
GTLM will feature a familiar lineup albeit without Risi Competizione's Ferrari 488 GTE Evo as anticipated. Chip Ganassi Racing, Porsche, BMW Team RLL, and Corvette Racing will all be present with two-car efforts as the latter looks to recreate its victory at the coastal event last Spring.
Stay tuned to The Drive as we put boots on the ground for the entire Long Beach Grand Prix weekend with IMSA and IndyCar coverage from April 13-15.
- RELATEDGanassi Looks to Hone Racecraft, Strategy Ahead of IMSA Long Beach ContestTeam Managing Director Mike Hull tells The Drive that pace and consistency are just as important for the 100-minute race.READ NOW
- RELATEDSpirit of Daytona to Skip Long Beach IMSA ContestA late race crash at Sebring ended the Spirit of Daytona team's chances at a podium and attending the next round at Long Beach.READ NOW
- RELATEDLong Beach Considering Hosting Formula One RaceFormula One hasn't raced at Long Beach in more than 30 years.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche Takes GT Le Mans Win at 2018 12 Hours of SebringThe Stuttgart team has redeemed itself in the second round of the 2018 IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar season.READ NOW
- RELATEDTequila Patron ESM Nabs First Victory at Sebring For Nissan Since 1994The lineup of Derani, van Overbeek, and Lappiere manage their second overall win at the 12 Hours.READ NOW