'Baby Driver' Release Date Pushed up to June 28th
Best Subaru commercial ever joins Cars 3 and Transformers 5 in theaters this June.
Originally slated for August 11th, Edgar Wright's action-comedy "Baby Driver" has been moved up to June 28th. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Sony Pictures made the announcement at CinemaCon yesterday, where the opening six minutes of the movie was shown. That move signals confidence, as it takes "Baby Driver" out of the relatively sparse August release window and into the ultra-competitive June schedule. It's especially bold once you realize that this brings the film in direct competition with the other two car-centric behemoth blockbusters of this summer: "Cars 3" and "Transformers: The Last Knight," which release on the 16th and 23rd of June, respectively.
"Baby Driver" stars Ansel Elgort of Divergent series fame, with Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, and Jon Hamm as a group of bank robbers. Although I suspect the real star of the show will be Baby's awesome "Hawkeye" WRX.
The movie was first shown at SXSW to critical acclaim, is currently rated 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, and boasts one of the coolest trailers in recent memory. Will it be enough to hold its own against the might of Pixar and Michael Bay at the box office? I'm not so sure, but one thing we can be certain of is that movie theater parking lots across the nation will likely look a little less dull come June 2017.
- RELATEDBaby Driver Trailer Shows a Subaru WRX Getting SidewaysThere's also a Dodge Challenger.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy Is Pixar’s First Trailer for Cars 3 So Dark?Uh, this is still a kids movie, right?READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Mercedes-AMG GT R Is the Latest Transformers AutobotThe 577 horsepower super coupe will become the samurai Drift.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a 2017 Subaru WRX STI Attack A Bobsled RunDriver Mark Higgins appeared to enjoy the jarring dash down the track.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Month’s Best Car Movies on NetflixNetflix and Rev.READ NOW