The Wayne’s World AMC Pacer Is Headed to Auction
The Red Vines roof dispenser is included. Party on.
Fan of Wayne’s World? Ready for some totally amazing and most excellent news? The original AMC Pacer from the iconic 90’s flick is headed to auction in Las Vegas next week. Barrett-Jackson is handling the sale of Wayne and Garth’s wheels – Lot 68, if you’re so inclined – and while no reserve is set, it’s expected to fetch a solid price thanks to a full restoration.
The car is a 1976 AMC Pacer with an automatic transmission and a 258 cubic-inch 6-cylinder engine. The original exterior color was yellow, paired with a brown interior, but it received a baby blue hue inside and out before filming commenced.
Other additions included tow hooks welded to the subframe in the front, steel camera supports welded to the rocker panels, that iconic Super Ropes licorice dispenser drilled into the roof, speaker boxes in the rear, flame decals and mismatched wheels. Some bits were removed, including parts of the inner dash to make space for the cup dispenser, and the heater and air conditioner were also yanked out.
During the restoration, all the bolted-on pieces were removed and the body was stripped down to the bare metal for a fresh coat of the original paint. The bumpers and wheels were treated to a re-chroming and all the interior panels and dashboard were refinished. Some new speakers were added, though there’s no amp to power them. The original stereo system is operational, per the write up, “ready for you to do your own rendition of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody.’” All the original props are also included.
Lastly, under the hood, the front end got a complete rebuild, including the steering rack. There’s a brand new exhaust, water pump, power steering pump, alternator, battery, and belts and hoses. All weatherstripping and moldings were replaced, along with the grille. Essentially, the new owner is getting a new AMC Pacer, only with killer provenance. Schwing!
- RELATEDWhat Would You Do With AMC’s Abandoned Detroit Headquarters?The ultimate karting complex? Or something even more creative…READ NOW
- RELATED7 Choice Picks From This Year's Best Porsche AuctionTractors, coat racks, race-ready kit, unobtanium 911s. It’s all here.READ NOW
- RELATED7 Unmissable Shelbys Going Up for Auction at Pebble BeachThe Carroll Shelby Trust just furnished seven iconic Mustangs, Cobras, and an Omni from its private collection.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Drive 100: The Greatest Auction Stars of 2015If you didn’t know, now you know.READ NOW
- RELATED12 Essential Classic Cars to Watch at Scottsdale's AuctionsWhy is Arizona heating up? Look no further than this not-so-dirty dozen.READ NOW