Watch This Nissan Leaf Rally Car Display its Off-Road Chops
This Leaf could be the first EV to run the 10,000-mile Mongol Rally.
The madmen of Scotland-based Plug In Adventures, along with RML Group, have created a monster. It’s a formidable off-roader called the Nissan Leaf AT-EV (all-terrain electric vehicle) and it will be the first EV to do battle in the Mongol Rally this summer.
Plug In Adventures is a group of EV enthusiasts who like to do weird stuff with electric cars. They’ve teamed up with RML Group, a high-performance automotive engineering firm, to modify this Leaf into something Nissan probably never intended. Modifications for rally prep include Maxsport RB3 rally tires, braided brake lines, skid plates of sorts, a roof rack with a light bar, and mudflaps despite having fake mud graphics behind the wheels.
On the inside, they removed the back seat which helped the car shed about seventy pounds and added a fire extinguisher and a first-aid kit. The only modification made to the front seat is rubber floor mats.
So, how do they plan on going 10,000 miles in a car with a 155-mile range? Getting through Europe won’t be a problem thanks to their expansive EV charging network. This Leaf is also able to accept a 240v Commando plug which is a somewhat universal electrical connection. In remote areas with no dedicated EV charging stations, they’ll be able to plug into just about any socket they can find. This adventure is intended to be a tour of evangelizing the benefits and versatility of electric cars. They’re not exactly going for a record-breaking time in the rally.
Nissan UK has made a demo video showing off what the Leaf AT-EV can do. It should be able to silence any naysayers of the little EV’s potential off-road when properly modified. Granted, it’s not quite rock crawling in Moab, but it’s still pretty impressive. See for yourself what this beast can do.
- RELATEDWatch a BMW i3 Drift Around a Rally StageWith Finnish rally legend Rauno Aaltonen behind the wheel, anything is possible.READ NOW
- RELATEDNext Generation Nissan Leaf Will Go On Sale This YearThe revival of the brand's EV is coming in hot for 2017.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Builds Tracked 2017 Rogue Concept for New York Auto ShowThe off-road-ready SUV is called the Nissan Rogue Trail Warrior Project.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Bunch of Rally Cars Crash Into a DitchReminder: Things can go bad even when racing slowly.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Nissan Leaf Will Feature ProPilot Autonomous EquipmentNissan's dabbling in autonomy will soon makes its debut.READ NOW