Watch a Superformance Ford GT40 Get Put Through Its Paces
DriveTribe gets intimate with a continuation of Ford's legendary Le Mans racer.
The new, flying-buttressed Ford GT is arguably the hottest supercar of 2017. Today's awesome-internet-car-video, however, doesn't feature the EcoBoosted newborn, but rather, its legendary Le Mans winning granddad: the GT40. Well, a continuation model of the GT40, at least. Built in South Africa by Superformance, this example is a near-identical recreation of the Mk.II that took the win at Le Mans back in 1966--with two other GT40s famously in tow. It features a small block, 7.0-liter roaring Roush V8 that produces "somewhere around 550 hp." DriveTribe's Jethro Bovingdon was fortunate enough to get to sample one around Willow Springs, and of course, documented the occasion for our viewing--and listening--pleasure.
Superformance's interpretation of Ford's first Ferrari-killer costs around $180,000. Considering some classic car continuations demanding seven or even eight figures, this GT40 is a downright bargain.
Like Lamborghini, the Ford GT40 owes its existence to a snub from Enzo Ferrari. The story is well-trodden by now, but boils down to Ford dedicating themselves to trump the Italians on the track after Enzo pulled out of selling his company to the big blue oval at the very last minute--after Ford had already spent millions in legal negotiations and auditing.
If it wasn't for Ferrari's history of... interesting business practices, I reckon today's automotive landscape would be significantly less interesting.
- RELATEDWatch the Bittersweet Story Behind the Ford GT40’s 1966 Le Mans Photo FinishPetersen Automotive Museum's new film 8 Meters chronicles the final moments of the famed race.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Le Mans-Winning Ford GT40 Being Restored to PerfectionAlmost 50 years after it won the trophy, Ford's champion is back in fighting shape.READ NOW
- RELATEDSee Every Race-Winning Ford GT40 From Pebble BeachAnd hear them roar onto the Concours d’Elegance podium.READ NOW
- RELATEDCar Porn: 1966 Ford GT40Getting up close and personal with the sexiest cars on the internet.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Photo Perfectly Captures Enzo Ferrariil Commendatore was born on this day in 1898. Somewhere in heaven, he’s wearing a great pair of sunglasses.READ NOW