Watch This Onboard Footage of A Ferrari 250 GTO at Goodwood
The most expensive car in history goes racing.
Home to many vintage races featuring wildly collectible cars, the Goodwood yard is a novel for enthusiasts of any era. As they compile championship-style events, a fleet of top-tier autos join together to show off the best in automotive history—however, none are more valuable than the Ferrari 250 GTO. Once sold for $38 million, the Italian fetched more at auction than any other car in history. Now, you can see it in action at this year's Members Meeting racing against other timeless classics.
The first thing you'll notice about the 250 GTO is its driver-centric cabin. With everything in the cockpit facing the pilot, it provides a well-positioned stance for races just like this. A tall, polished gear lever allows access to row the beautiful gated gearbox, a lost art that was once the centerpiece for Ferrari's interiors. A tasteful tachometer finds its home right in the middle of the driver's view, making sure the driver knows where he is in the rev range with ease and clarity.
The second thing is the noise. The GTO's power plant takes one out of the classic Ferrari playbook, or rather, defines it. A small displacement 3.0-liter V212 sings with individual throttle bodies modulating constantly, bellowing out a sound that's second to none, even in comparison to the Jaguar E-Type of the day. Accompanying the engine is the "click-click" of the aforementioned shifter, completing the visceral soundtrack.
It's pure entertainment to see the 250 GTO race against other period-correct cars—some of them that you'd never expect to see on track again. Thanks to gatherings like the Goodwood Members Meeting, we hope to see sights like this for years to come.
- RELATEDWatch Two 1965 Ford Mustangs Make War On Track At GoodwoodIt doesn't matter how valuable your classic car is—rubbing is racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche 908s Shine In Goodwood 70s Sportscar 3-Liter DemonstrationThe shrill flat-eight sound of a pair of 908s running on track is enough to make any Porschephile's day.READ NOW
- RELATEDFive Porsche GT1s Bring The Nineties Back To GoodwoodWatch as Porsche's most advanced racer of the era puts on a fire spitting high-speed demo.READ NOW
- RELATEDFerrari 250 GTO and Jaguar E-Type Nearly Collide at GoodwoodGet ready for some serious clenching.READ NOW
- RELATEDItalian Police Allegedly Foil Plot to Steal Enzo Ferrari's BodyThe discovery of the plan was reportedly made during an arms and drug trafficking investigation.READ NOW