Watch This Audi RS6 Avant Whip a Nissan GT-R
Two super-fast cars duke it out in a straight line—and the station wagon takes the win.
The RS6 is a proper sports wagon. Its 4.0-liter V-8 engine is fitted with two turbochargers, producing a whopping 553 horsepower and 516 lb.-ft. of torque. This is enough to propel it from 0-60 miles per hour in just 3.9 seconds and to a theoretical 189 mph top speed—though for safety reasons, the car is electronically limited to 155. The 4,299-pound station wagon costs around $101,156 for a base model.
The 2017 R35 GT-R is the slightly less heavy of the two, tipping the scales at 3,911 lbs. Its 3.8-liter V-6 also packs a pair of turbochargers under the hood to make big numbers. And it does just that, pumping out 562 horsepower and 469 lb.-ft. of torque. Less weight, more horsepower —it seems like it should demolish the RS6 on paper, right? You might not want to bet its $109,990 price tag on that.
The boys over at Carfection decided to treat the pair to a drag race to see which of the six figure monsters would take out the other. The answer is surprising, especially since the Audi is more of a usable "family car" (I use that term lightly, since you typically won't be wreaking havoc around town with your wife and kids in it) and less of a sports coupe. After all, it is a station wagon, right? That may just be the reason that you aren't greeted with the same "look, a sports car!" feeling when stepping up to the door or the RS6 as opposed to the GT-R. Let's check out the results:
So for $8,834 less, you get two more doors, usable boot space, and a quicker car in a straight line. I can't say the same would occur around a track, so that's left in the air until somebody with more money than I makes the effort to pit the two against each other in the twisties.
- RELATEDAudi RS Roundup: No Drift Mode or Bespoke Models, But RS6 Avant Could Come StatesideAnd a new RS 4 is apparently in the cards, too.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Mazda RX7 FD3S and Nissan R35 GTR Duke It Out, Touge-StyleTurn up your sound because this is a touge battle you don't want to miss.READ NOW
- RELATEDNoriyaro Shares A Closer Look At Top Secret's R35-Powered R32 GT-RNoriyaro brings us around the weirder parts of Makuhari Messe and has a closer look at the Top Secret "VR32" GT-R.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Nissan GT-R Track Edition to Debut at New York Auto Show in AprilThe Nissan GT-R Track Edition will sit between the GT-R Premium and GT-R NISMO in the sports car lineup.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch The AMS Alpha G Nissan GT-R Set The World's First AWD 6-Second Quarter Mile At TX2K17Watch the AMS Performance's 2,500-HP Nissan GT-R become the world's quickest AWD in a quarter mile.READ NOW