Watch the Audi 90 IMSA GTO Spit Flames All Over The Track
This classic footage from Sears Point is something special.
The late '80s and early '90s were the glory days of racing. Cars were faster than they had ever been with minimal restrictions in place, and thanks to that we got to see some of the best racing series of all including Group B rally, Formula 1, and IMSA GTO like you see here. Manufacturers were actively competing to best each other in motorsport by introducing trick technologies and systems to beat out the rest, making it an especially entertaining time to be a fan. That statement proves true with this video of Hans Stuck and his Audi 90 IMSA GTO flying through Sears Point, spitting flames and bellowing out turbo whooshes across the track.
Races like this made onlookers stand on their toes, rooting harder than ever before for their favorite team. Audi had its fair share of die-hards across each series between rally and road racing, so you can be sure that Hans Stuck provided the theatrics. This classic footage brings about a certain nostalgia that's lacking from motorsport today, but with teams consistently becoming more innovative in terms of powertain and chassis dynamics, we could finally be back on our way to events like the one you see here.
Covered by ESPN, drivers and their cars were at center stage. Stuck was competing with his teammate Hurley Haywood, another one of the most acclaimed drivers of his time, for the title in a heated contest. Each of them pushed their 720 horsepower machines to destruction, jamming through the gears and slinging flames out of the side dump exhaust. Back then, they were celebrities that demanded the media's attention, and luckily, racing seems to be moving back in that direction.
Watch here as there's plenty of aural and visual aid to quench your thirst for vintage racing. What a sweet sound from that Audi five-pot.
- RELATED2018 Audi TT RS to Debut at New York International Auto ShowWith 400 horsepower, the 2018 Audi TT RS is the most powerful production TT in history.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2018 Audi S5 Is the Smartest, Quickest Coupe You'll Barely NoticeThe latest update of the four ringer's midline performance coupe, with a sensible design, a revamped engine and a tweaked ethos. But can it hang on to its edge?READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Audi RS4 Avant Prototype Spied Testing at The NurburgringThe German brute sports a wagon look and heavy camouflage in this clip.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi May Join Formula One With SauberDieselgate has not quashed the brand's desire to prove itself in F1.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi A4 and A5 Production Disrupted After Supplier FireProduction is expected to resume by the end of the week.READ NOW