Watch the 2018 Subaru WRX and STI Drift, Drift, and Drift Some More
This is how all STI drivers think they look.
It's finally the weekend, and to celebrate, Subaru has come out with a two-minute treat for WRX fans everywhere. For 2018, Subaru facelifted the WRX and WRX STI with aggressive new front fascias, revised suspension, steering, and transmission tuning, better brakes, new wheels, and upgraded interior materials. In this new "Spotlight" promotional video, courses are closed, professional drivers drive, and warranties are most definitely voided as both cars are thrown around the road, track, and dirt in a manner most owners only daydream about. Sit back, plug in your best headphones, make sure the boss isn't looking (if you're still in the office), and enjoy.
This is how performance car ads should be done. Minimal music, no voiceover, maximum hoonery, and camerawork that would make Edgar Wright proud.
The updated WRX STI will be powered by the same turbocharged boxer four that's powered fast Imprezas since the Mitsubishi Evo was still considered the car's chief and only rival—remember those days?
Subaru has not officially announced pricing for the updated cars, but we don't expect it to change much from this year's models, which start at around $27,000 for the WRX and $35,000 for the full-spoilered STI. Excuse me as I go check what $35,000 works out to in 72 monthly payments.
Correction: a previous version of this article stated that the new WRX would also be powered by the same EJ series engine from previous generations. The new WRX uses a new direct-injected 2.0 liter FA20F with a twin-scroll turbocharger.
- RELATEDHow to Properly Break In Your 2016 Subaru WRXBought on Wednesday, 1,000 miles by Friday. Here’s how.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Subaru WRX STI Bomb Down a Bobsled TrackMark Higgins goes for gold in his 2014 Isle of Man TT record car.READ NOW
- RELATEDBaby Driver Trailer Shows a Subaru WRX Getting SidewaysThere's also a Dodge Challenger.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Behind-the-Scenes Footage of the Subaru WRX STi Bobsled RunThese are the makings of Subaru's crazy stunt.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Subaru STI WRX S4 tS Special Edition Looks Mean, Isn’t Coming HereAlso, it only comes with a CVT, for some reason.READ NOW