Watch These Shocking Red-Light Car Collisions and Near-Misses Recorded by Safety Cameras
Here's how ignoring the light at red can lead to some harsh wrecks and mistakes.
Everybody seems to be in a rush on the road these days. That's a cliché that we often hear as an excuse for a number of reckless driving incidents.
A video released on YouTube by leading red-light safety camera provider American Traffic Solutions compiled shocking footage of what it's calling "2017's Worst Red-Light Runners."
The annual collisions and near-misses video captured by its red-light safety cameras from programs in Arizona, Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, New York, and North Carolina presents a scary set of visuals for everyone to see. According to American Traffic Solutions, all of the crashes could have been avoided if drivers had just stopped when the light turned red.
Two of the most violent-looking crashes from the compilation include a nighttime high-speed collision in Nassau County, New York where a driver is shown plowing head-on into a car making a left turn at an intersection. Another in Wilmington, North Carolina, where a car running a red light has their driver-side door smashed by a car coming from a crossing road at a high rate of speed, is especially hard to watch.
92.8% of drivers view it as unacceptable to drive through a traffic light that just turned red when they could have stopped safely, while 68% view it as completely unacceptable, according to a 2016 survey from the Automobile Association of America (AAA).
- RELATEDSmart ForTwo Explodes After Owner Accidentally Fills Air Intake With GasolineNot a very... [sunglasses on] ...smart move.READ NOW
- RELATEDUtah Man Headed to Jail for Causing 22 Car Crashes in 5 Years for the Insurance MoneyThat's one way to make a living.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a 2,000-HP Lamborghini Crash at 200 MPHThe heavily modified Lambo lost control at triple-digit speeds.READ NOW
- RELATEDMan Rescued From His Sinking Car on a Frozen Pond by Hero First RespondersThis driver is lucky to be alive.READ NOW
- RELATEDIdaho Man Crashes Into Courthouse Because He Wanted to Go Back to JailJonathan Joseph Locksmith, 37, reportedly did a donut in front of the courthouse before crashing into a decorative pond.READ NOW