Watch the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Stretch Its Legs on the Dyno
The muscle car's impressive run reveals just how much power it truly makes.
A tuner shop in Virginia got its hands on the long-awaited SRT Demon and did the first sensible thing—find out how much power it puts down at the wheels. Dodge says the two-door coupe will make 808-horsepower at the crank on 91 octane gas, but as with any car, that number declines by the time that power reaches the ground. The question is, how much does the figure differ than the one Dodge claims?
Turns out, not by much. After strapping it onto the dynamometer, the results show the rear-wheel-drive car peaking at 724-hp while running ordinary pump fuel. That's an approximate 10% loss of power from the drivetrain. The SRT Demon is also rated at 840-hp on 100 octane racing fuel. Either way, it will produce an excess of 700-wheel-horsepower. By comparison, the SRT Hellcat is good for 707-hp at the flywheel and, according to the same tuner shop, 640-whp.
The SRT Demon is powered by a 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 and will go from 0-60 miles per hour in just 2.3 seconds. Production is limited to just 3,300 units. Priced at $84,995, these numbers make the muscle car a pretty big bang for its buck. Finding one at that price, however, will prove to be difficult despite the carmaker's attempt to discourage markups.
- RELATEDThe Official 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Configurator Demands Your AttentionBuild the Demon of your dreams—or your nightmares.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Is Making Customers Promise Not to Misuse the Challenger SRT DemonDemon buyers must sign a document saying they won't drive it in the cold, in the rain, or even on the highway.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis $180,000 New/Used Dodge Demon Is Priced High Enough to Make Your Skin CrawlIs the expensive price for this maniac machine worth paying, or is someone spinning tires?READ NOW
- RELATEDLaunching the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT DemonAfter months of hype, we drive Dodge's unholy, record-setting beast on the dragstrip.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch The Dodge Challenger SRT Demon's 840-HP V8 Engine Scream On the DynoIt had to be factory-tested on a setup originally designed for NASCAR engines.READ NOW