The Volkswagen Golf GTI Is the Ultimate People's Performance Car
Regular Car Reviews finds out if Volkswagen's hot hatch deserves its cult-like status.
Whenever a new performance hatchback is introduced, it has to answer one question––how does it compare to the Volkswagen Golf GTI? Every test of other hot hatches can't help but mention VW's iconic vehicle, but there are plenty of reasons why the GTI is the gold standard by which all practical-but-fun cars are measured.
It may not have been the first of its kind, but the Golf GTI was the car that put hot hatchbacks on the map. Volkswagen introduced the idea that you could buy a "sports car" for an affordable price, but one that could retain all of the practicality of a hatchback. Thus becoming the performance car of the people, able to haul the entire family around on weekdays and fly through the canyons on the weekend.
In its latest comedic vehicle review, Regular Car Reviews gets its hands on a 2017 Golf GTI Sport to see what all the fuss is about.
Mr. Regular hits a lot of good points of why the GTI is an excellent car, especially his comments about the interior and superior dual-clutch transmission. Its competitors may be more fun to drive and engaging, but would you rather daily drive those?
We would have loved it if the review talked less about the meaningless Soundaktor and focused on poking fun at the GTI's community, something Mr. Regular excels at. RCR also arguably misses the mark on why its so likable–– it's an incredibly refined car that appeals to everyone from teenage enthusiasts to grandparents. It makes compromises in the power department to keep things tame but still features sharp handling, quick acceleration, and a massive aftermarket to appeal to enthusiasts.
It's a car built to please all, not just some. It doesn't do anything particularly well but is designed to be a solid contender in every category.
- RELATEDWatch Every Generation of Volkswagen Golf Morph Through the YearsThis early hot hatch paved the way for many more to come.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen UP! GTI is the Original Golf GTI ReincarnatedSadly, it won't be coming to the US.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Kawasaki Ninja 250 Is the Mazda Miata of MotorcyclesRegular Car Reviews takes on the pipsqueak sportbike.READ NOW
- RELATEDRegular Car Reviews Completely Misses The Point Of Porsche’s 944I know that Mr. Regular is attempting to conjure a response with his dissent of one of Porsche's most successful entry level cars, and I'm playing right into his trap here. This is what he wants, and I'm giving it to him. C'est la vie.READ NOW
- RELATEDLego VW Golf GTi Mark 1 Will Be Headed to StoresGet your 8-track tapes ready to play while you assemble it.READ NOW