Take a Look at How BimmerWorld Took on Pikes Peak
BimmerWorld releases a video highlighting the team's attempt a few months ago to go up the historic mountain.
BimmerWorld is a popular BMW parts supplier located in Dublin, Virginia. Founded in 1997 by James Clay, BimmerWorld also fields a race team. Driven by Clay, the BimmerWorld team fielded a BMW M3 race car for the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. The team recently released a short video of their time on the mountain.
Clay and BimmerWorld's M3 started life as a BimmerWorld project car. The car was a 2011 E92 model bought at auction. BimmerWorld's original goal of the project car was to showcase how with $45,000 you could turn the M3 into a streetcar monster. From that idea, they switched gears to convert it to a Pikes Peak build.
The M3 has significant upgrades in every department. The car features three-way adjustable MCS Coil Overs, Hotchkis sway bars, Ground Control Race camber plates, and BimmerWorld solid mounts, control arms, and monoball bearings. Pikes Peak is 156 turns and a majority of them can send you off the side of the mountain, so brakes are very important. BimmerWorld's car is equipped with Performance Friction four-piston calipers.
The mountain starts at around 9,100 feet and has more than 4,000 feet of elevation change. That high up horsepower is lost, while many add turbochargers or superchargers to their engine BimmerWorld decided to stick to the original roaring naturally aspirated 4.0-liter BMW S65 V-8 engine. For a full build break down as well as links to all of the parts you can buy of the build directly from BimmerWorld, check out BimmerWorld's M3 Hillclimb car page.
Clay ended up finishing the race in 6th place in his class, only a few seconds away from 4th with a final time of 11:02.966.
Check out BimmerWorld's Pikes Peak video below.
- RELATEDLearn Everything You Did Not Know About Pikes Peak Legend Jeff ZwartPhotographer, cinematographer, and driver Jeff Zwart sits down with Hoonigan to discuss his career and love of Porsche's.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Ken Block and the Hoonicorn Attack Pikes Peak in ClimbkhanaKen Block outdoes himself with a unique Gymkhana-style run up Pikes Peak.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch LYFE Motorsport Attempt to Tackle Pikes PeakLYFE Motorsport returns for their third attempt up the infamous mountain.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch David Donohue's Porsche 911 Turbo Attack The Pikes Peak Hillclimb From Inside The CarThe car's full officially unofficial name is the "911 Turbo S GT3R America Cup"READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Pikes Peak Legend Jeff Zwart Rip Burnouts and Donuts in His Porsche 914/6Jeff Zwart stops by Hoonigan to play with his Porsche 914/6 that he has owned for 45 years.READ NOW