VIDEO: Morgan 3-Wheeler Versus 1961 Ferrari 250 PF Cabriolet (Another Very Biased Review)
Finally, Morgan gets some competition.
Children dream of the future. Adults? The past. Once you get old enough, you graduate to vintage cars. Hence, the appeal of classic cars over new ones. Ah, the "good old days." That's why new "old" cars — fakevintagetretrorestomodyaddayadda — are increasingly popular. That's why we forgive actual vintage cars all their problems.
Or do we?
This week on Morgan Versus, we put my Morgan 3-wheeler — the best/worst new car of all time — against the very best of the distant past. In this case, Ferrari's past.
It's 2014 Morgan vs 1961 Ferrari 250 PF Cabriolet.
Once again, it's not really a fair competition. The Morgan may appear to be yet another fakevintagetretrorestomod, but it's actually totally authentic. Why? Because unlike other fakevintagetretrorestomods, it doesn't just look like it was engineered as terribly as it was in the past, it actually is engineered as terribly as it was in the past. Which makes it a formidable opponent. It does everything it must to evoke the charm, frustration and awesomeness of an old car, but at a deep discount to actual vintage and exotic cars.
Which makes it a bargain.
(Thanks to Jake Auerbach of RM Sotheby's for lending me the Ferrari, which is obviously junk despite it being in absolutely perfect condition.)
What chance does a 1961 Ferrari 250 PF Cabriolet have against it? None at an estimated value of $1.5M to $1.8M. A brand new Morgan 3-wheeler will run you between $45k and $80k, depending on options, none of which add to its perfection in terms of ownership experience.
That Ferrari? A gorgeous, undriveable, seductive, deceptive, wonderful and maddening piece of art. But as a car? Junk.
Find out why in this episode:
Alex Roy is Editor-at-Large for The Drive, Host of The Autonocast, co-host of /DRIVE on NBC Sports, author of The Driver and Founder of Noho Sound, has set numerous endurance driving records in Europe & the USA in the internal combustion, EV, 3-wheeler & Semi-Autonomous Classes, including the infamous Cannonball Run record. You can follow him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- RELATEDMorgan 3-Wheeler Versus Mercedes-AMG G63: A Very Biased ComparisonThe Harvey Weinstein of SUVs meets the U.K.'s best/worst car.READ NOW
- RELATEDMorgan 3-Wheeler Vs. 1955 Land Rover Series 1: A Very Biased Comparison TestThe three-wheeled speed machine faces off against a six-decade-old off-roader.READ NOW
- RELATEDMorgan 3 Wheeler Vs. Vanderhall Venice: A (Slightly Biased) One-Man Comparison TestPitting the world’s best-slash-worst car against an American upstart.READ NOW
- RELATEDMorgan 3-Wheeler Versus 2017 e-Moke: A Very Biased Comparison TestWhat happens when the world's best/worst car meets the son of junk?READ NOW
- RELATEDMorgan Versus Porsche 911 Carrera S: a Very Biased ComparisonWhat happens when the world's best/worst British car meets iconic German iron?READ NOW