Watch and Learn How the Toyota Supra Evolved into the Legend We Know Today
Watch how the Toyota Supra transformed from a Celica to a monster.
This week Donut Media is covering the Toyota Supra in its Evolution video series, which shows how enthusiasts' favorite car models morph from model year to model year, over time showcasing important enhancements and facts over time.
Donut Media previously covered the Supra in its well-loved Everything You Need to Know | Up to Speed series, but that series is different. With Evolution, you get to see the physical changes to the cars and get straight to the facts.
This Evolution video starts with the first Supra. The 1978 Celica XX 2000, which was also known as the Celica Supra, and introduced the world to the Supra name. In 1981, Toyota released the Toyota Celica Supra which was engineered with help from Lotus. The names Celica and Supra were together until 1986 when Toyota released the Toyota Supra, which was the first Supra produced without the Celica name tied to it.
The 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo (MkIII) was important on this side of the pond because it was the first Supra with a turbocharged engine made for the United States. Further positive engine changes occurred in 1991, with the production of the 1JZ GTE engine which was released with the Supra.
Possibly the most known Supra was the MkIV. Released in 1993, it came with the legendary 2JZ GTE engine. Its stardom can be attributed to the late Paul Walker driving it as Brian O'Conner in The Fast and the Furious. The well-known MkIV Supra has yet to be released, but there's been a well-known pow-wow between Toyota and BMW to create the Supra's successor. This is not the first time Toyota worked with another manufacturer as it teamed up with Subaru to create the Toyotabaru twins, the Subaru BRZ and the Toyota GT86 (previously Scion FR-S).
The MkIV's successor has not been officially named a Supra, but if Toyota names it anything but enthusiasts will probably call it a Supra anyway.
Check out Donut Media's Supra Evolution video below.
- RELATEDHere's How the Beloved Toyota Supra Got its Humble StartTake a trip down memory lane with the legendary nameplate.READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck out the Evolution of the Jeep 4×4From military necessity to off road warrior, see the Jeep evolve through the years.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Evolution of the Ford MustangFrom 1964 1/2 to today, watch the Mustang morph through the generations.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Evolution of the Honda CivicTake a unique look at how the Honda Civic has been molded through the years.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch BJ Baldwin Bring His 800-HP Trophy Truck to Hoonigan's Donut GarageSeven time racing champion, two time solo Baja 100 winner, just wants to do a wheelie in a parking lot.READ NOW