Watch Dario Franchitti and CJ Wilson Drive the New Porsche 718 GTS Twins in Sicily
The new Goldilocks-trim Boxster and Cayman retrace a historic Italian road course.
Shortly after revealing the new 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS sports cars, Porsche is giving us a look at how the two look and feel in motion. For the job, they flew four-time IndyCar champ and Porsche collector Dario Franchitti along with former Los Angeles Angels pitcher and current Porsche GT3 Cup racer CJ Wilson to Sicily, handing them the keys to a matching pair of red 718s. It's a hard job, but somebody's gotta do it.
After drinking in and geeking out over the cars' cosmetic tweaks, Dario and CJ hit the road. In an ode to the 718's namesake, the cars are eventually taken to the Targa Florio road-course, where Porsche's original 718 race car finished second and first in 1958 and 1959, respectively.
The 2018 Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS both produce 365 horsepower from a turbocharged, 2.5-liter flat-four and can be had with a six-speed manual or seven-speed PDK. Equipped with the paddles, the GTS twins can sprint to 60 mph in under four seconds.
Before destination, the Cayman GTS will cost $79,800 while its drop-top sibling will go for $81,900.
- RELATEDPorsche Announces 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS Models with 365 HPThe touted middle-ground trim makes its way to Stuttgart's lightweight sports cars. And does 0-60 mph in under four seconds.READ NOW
- RELATEDVintage Porsche. Derek Bell. Sicily.What more do you need to know?READ NOW
- RELATEDCheck Out CJ Wilson's First Laps In A Porsche GT3 Cup CarThe southpaw pitcher is trading in his mitt for a pair of racing gloves and turns out he's pretty damn quickREAD NOW
- RELATEDPorsche Builds a Fully-Electric Cayman To Show Off Fast Charging, Mission E TechThe Porsche Cayman e-volution shows the brand is getting serious about electric vehicles.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhat Is It Like To Own A Porsche Cayman GTS Long Term?Paul from Everyday Driver has owned his Cayman for a year now, and has a few things to report on long term Porsche ownershipREAD NOW