This Insane Supercar Drag Race Face-Off Just Might Blow Your Mind
From modern-day hypercars to immaculate vintage speed machines, this video has something for everyone.
Watch enough YouTube, and sooner or later, you might start to feel a little blasé about supercars racing one another down empty runways. Ever since Top Gear pioneered the format a couple decades back, it's become a staple of the automotive entertainment complex. It's always entertaining—after all, it's hard to get sick of watching fast cars go WOT and hit triple-digit speeds—but after all these years, the format's not quite as fresh as it once was.
The 11-minute video of a supercar meet in Switzerland embedded below, though...it's something else entirely.
The first 20 seconds, which feature the likes of the LaFerrari-based track-only Ferrari FXX K and the brand-spanking-new 812 Superfast blasting down the tarmac with V-12s screaming, is enough to clue discerning supercar lovers into the fact that this video is something special. The fourth-gen Dodge Viper ACR and current Porsche 911 GT3 RS that take off side-by-side seconds later are added proof.
But it's the moment you see a Mercedes-AMG SLS GT3R race car start whipping off donuts in front of a panoramic alpine view that it hits you: This is the sort of spectacle you might never see in real life.
Do you think you'll ever personally see a Porsche 959 blast down a stretch of road just seconds ahead of a 918 Spyder? Or watch a Carrera GT go head-to-head against a Maserati MC12? Or, perhaps craziest of all, see the the classic 1990s Le Mans matchup of the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR and the Porsche 911 GT1 in a balls-to-the-wall drag race down an airstrip?
Yeah. We doubt we ever will, either.
- RELATEDLamborghini Displays Trio of Sexy Custom Supercars During Monterey Car WeekThis rare collection of special edition Lambos were quite a sight at Pebble Beach.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Porsche 959 Sport Just Sold At Auction For Over 2 Million DollarsThe Crowd-Stopping Porsche Supercar Sold At RM Sotheby's 2017 Paris Auction TodayREAD NOW
- RELATEDClimb Inside This Ferrari FXX K Doing 200 MPH at DaytonaYou may never own a $2 million Ferrari...but you can see what it's like to ride along inside one.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast, Driven: The Maranello MaulerFerrari's 789-horsepower, 211-mph beauty breathes life into the V-12.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Immaculate Lamborghini Miura Is the Star of UK's Salon PrivéThis is the best bedroom-wall poster supercar, according to UK's Concours d'Elegance.READ NOW