Watch This Ferrari F40 LM Shred Rubber Up the Goodwood Hill Climb
Turbo power for the win.
Turbocharged V-8s may have become the new normal at Ferrari in the last few years, but Maranello was strapping twin-snail eight-pots into its supercars well before the likes of the California T and 488 GTB-slash-Spider were even a twinkle in its metaphorical eye. Back in the Eighties and early Nineties, the Enzo-endorsed Ferrari F40 was spitting out enough turbocharged V-8 power to make it the first production car to crack the 200 mile-per-hour barrier. It may have since been eclipsed in both power and speed by plenty of other sports cars—many of which also bear the Prancing Horse—but even today, few cars can match the F40 for raw visual pizzazz or pure vocal emotion.
Need proof? Just watch this little video of a Ferrari F40 LM opening a can of turbocharged whup-ass on the Goodwood hill climb in Great Britain. Captured by YouTube car nut NM2255 during the Goodwood Festival of Speed earlier this year, the clip shows the track-spec F-car—sporting blue-and-white racing strips over its classic red body—laying down a patch of rubber as it launches itself up the iconic course, then purring, roaring, and howling its way up the narrow tarmac path, headlights blasting beneath their streamlined Lexan covers. But even if the video weren't filled with two and a half minutes of footage of one of the sexiest supercars to ever roam the streets, trust us: The buzzing and screaming of the all-but-exposed 2.9-liter V-8 alone would be worth clicking play.
See—aren't you glad you decided to watch?
- RELATEDFerrari F40: A Photo RetrospectiveThe supercar built to celebrate Ferrari's 40th anniversary is now 30 years old.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Walter Rohrl Take The New GT2 RS Up The Hill At Goodwood From Inside The CarNo terrible attempt at a donut, just pure, clean, unadulterated speed.READ NOW
- RELATEDPink Floyd Member's Ferrari F40 Will Go up for Auction at GoodwoodA hero car from one of the best bands of the era.READ NOW
- RELATEDListen To This Tiny 1.5L Flat-12 Ferrari F1 Car Zip Around GoodwoodIs there a stranger grand prix engine than this?READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Ferrari F40 Rallying Up a Ski Slope in Glorious FashionIt's good to be rich, crazy, and have friends at Red Bull's video team.READ NOW