Watch This 900-HP AC Cobra Rip Down the Drag Strip
The power plant is a 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 with a Whipple supercharger strapped on it.
The Shelby Cobra has stalked car meets since the 60s and no one has been complaining. Each Cobra is unique and its a rarity you see one pushing less than 400 horsepower. In the video below, we get to feast our eyes on a Cobra built by Backdraft Racing and powered by a 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 withe a 2.3-liter Whipple Supercharger strapped on top and a can of nitrous in the back.
When everything is hooking up correctly, this particular Cobra makes 960 horsepower. That has translated into a constant battle for traction with hairy results at every shift. According to the Cobra's build team, the high performance muscle car is pushing 250 shot of nitrous and can peak at 181 mph. Unfortunately, due to traction issues, the Cobra only hit 162 mph when racing the airstrip at Colorado Springs Airport, but we had a blast watching this thing go wild.
However, we do have to wonder if the Cobra is pushing a little too much power and may fair better at around 800 horsepower.
- RELATEDWatch Matt Farah Drive a 2002 Mustang Cobra Grand-Am Championship CarWhen it comes to vintage racing on the cheap, the answer isn't always Miata anymore.READ NOW
- RELATEDCar Porn: Shelby Cobra Daytona CoupeGetting up close and personal with the sexiest cars on the internet.READ NOW
- RELATEDCar Porn: Shelby Cobra RoadsterGetting up close and personal with the sexiest cars on the internet.READ NOW
- RELATEDVespa to Make an Electric Scooter and AC Cars Starts Building a 550-HP Cobra: The Evening RushPlus, the Ember mug will keep your drink at the perfect temperature.READ NOW
- RELATEDFirst Shelby Cobra Ever Built Breaks Auction Records at MontereyPatinaed CSX2000 pulls a mint.READ NOW