Watch This Chevy LT5-Powered Opel Kadett Fly Up a Hill
This thing sure likes to climb hills.
We here at The Drive endorse the use of high-revving, naturally aspirated V-8 engines in lightweight hill climb cars that originally came with something less substantial—like a piddly little inline four. We have previously featured a BMW 3-Series with an Indycar engine, an Alfa Romeo 4C with a Formula 3000 engine, and even the famous BMW 134 Judd of Georg Plasa. There is, of course, a new car to add to the roster of nutty, rev-happy V-8 hill climb cars: an Opel Kadett C GT/E with a Chevrolet LT5 V-8, sourced from the C4 Corvette ZR1, and then converted to a flat-plane crank.
The car was built by Hovemann Car Design, a German race shop, run by Hovemann Holger, the proprietor and driver of the Kadett. As designed, this Kadett has been rechristened the Kadett C V8 GT/R, and is powered, as stated above, by a Chevrolet LT5 engine with a remarkably strange story. Car & Driver chronicled the development of the LT5 between General Motors and then-subsidiary Lotus Engineering, from which the LT5 was spawned after much squabbling over promised power figures and cylinder bore. Hence, an engine with a longer stroke than the pushrod V-8 it was derived from, yet a higher rev range.
This Kadett C GT/R was filmed racing at Glasbachrennen 2017, a German hill climb that hosts four different hill climb leagues, including the FIA European Hill Climb Championship, German Hill Climb Championship, KW Hill Climb Cup, and Classic Hill Climb Cup.
If you like hill climb cars, be sure to come back soon because The Drive will be covering this year's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb this Sunday. In the run-up to the race itself, we will be following one team's efforts to get their car out of mothballs and ready to run this year, as well as part of a dyno tuning session.
In the meantime, just savor the Kadett C GT/R, and its heart of 'Murican horsepower.
- RELATEDLet Monster Tajima Throwback Footage Get You Excited for the Pikes Peak Hill ClimbThis classic footage of the hillclimb legend will get your blood pumping.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Bugatti Chiron's Hill Climb is Pure Turbo SpoolListen to this Chiron make tons of turbo noises while attacking a hill climb race.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Alfa Romeo 4C Hillclimb Car Has a Formula 3000 V-8Hillclimb cars make for some of the strangest (yet most attractive) race cars out there.READ NOW
- RELATEDEveryone Should Care About the Pikes Peak Hill ClimbPikes Peak is one of the world's most extreme races...but not nearly as well-known as it should be.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This IndyCar-Powered BMW 3 Series Hill Climb Car SingCrazy engine-swapped hill climb cars make you glad to be alive.READ NOW