Listen to the 2018 BMW M8 Roar at the Nurburgring
The camouflaged car made a very public (and loud) debut at the 24 Hours Nurburgring race.
After years of rumors floating around that the company was planning a new 8 Series model, BMW has confirmed them in recent days with record enthusiasm. In the span of less than a month, the Bavarian Motor Works announced a new range-topping coupe was headed for production next year, previewed said car with the gorgeous Concept 8 Series at Villa d'Este, and announced that the new 8 Series range would also include a 2018 BMW M8...by bringing a camouflaged (but apparently near-production-ready) version of it to the 24 Hours Nurburgring race last weekend.
As the 24 Hours of Nurburgring is a rather well-attended motorsports event, the new BMW M8 didn't exactly go unnoticed at its global debut. (Not that BMW expected to, mind you.) So when the company started up the camouflaged two-door for the first time in the public sphere, a veritable gaggle of gearheads with smartphones were gathered around to see—and, as it turns out, hear—the car in real life.
Included among them: veteran YouTube car spotter cvdzijden, who was front and center for the super-coupe's grand entrance from behind a banner bearing the catchphrase "TOO MANY SECRETS." Not only did his camera capture the car from the front, side, and rear of the vehicle, but the microphone also grabbed the snarling exhaust note pouring out of the engine—reportedly, the same 600-horsepower twin-turbo V-8 unit found in the forthcoming BMW M5. He even caught a good glimpse of the car blasting onto the 'Ring itself with a couple M3 Ring Taxis...an accelerative burst that left us even more excited to drive this big Bimmer than we were before.
- RELATEDThe BMW M8 Is Coming To Le Mans And Wall Street Parking Lots Next YearThe M8 is officially happening and will lead BMW's return to Le Mans.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW M8 Teased, More to Be Revealed SaturdayShortly after unveiling the Concept 8 Series, BMW is already building hype for the inevitable M8.READ NOW
- RELATEDLeaked: BMW 8 Series Concept PhotosPics of, reportedly, a concept car that previews BMW's upcoming gran turismo has leaked.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is The BMW Concept 8 Series in All Its GloryFeast your eyes on the return of BMW's big coupe.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy the New BMW 8-Series Makes SenseTremendous profit potential means BMW’s “best failed experiment” might get a second chance.READ NOW