Watch a Racer Lose Control When a Wheel Flies Off His BMW E36 3 Series Race Car
This could've ended a lot worse.
Losing a wheel at any speed can have serious consequences, but having it happen on track when you're hauling ass is pretty much the worst-case scenario. A video shared on YouTube shows what that scene could look like when a BMW E36 3 Series race car and a populated race track are involved.
The video, shared to YouTube by grassroots racer and former Pirelli World Challenge driver Van Svenson shows how the incident went down. Svenson was behind the wheel of a BMW E36 race car at New Jersey Motorsports Park's Thunderbolt track when the studs on one of the car's four corners broke.
"I had a wild ride when the studs on my left rear wheel failed in T4 at Thunderbolt," Svenson wrote in the video description. "Luckily, I didn't hit anyone or anything."
Yeah, and it was a damn close call.
After the wheel came off, the E36 can be seen spinning in circles uncontrollably. It's amazing that the car wasn't struck by one of the race cars out on track.
- RELATEDWatch This Porsche 911 Spin, Nearly Slam a Barrier at the NürburgringHold on tight!READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Caterham 485 S Chase a BMW M3 Around the NurburgringNothing like flying around "The Ring" in an open cabin sports car.READ NOW
- RELATEDRoborace's Self-Driving Race Car Makes Public Driving Debut at Paris Formula E RaceRoborace put its "Robocar" self-driving car on the ePrix course in the French capital.READ NOW
- RELATEDRacelogic Wants to Use Human Bodies as Conduits to Prevent Distracted DrivingIt's a clever idea...if a little bit creepy.READ NOW
- RELATEDBack In 1991, Porsche's 944 S2 Cabriolet Was KingIf you wanted to be the coolest guy on your block in the early 1990s, you drove a 3-liter twin-cam transaxle Porsche with a drop top.READ NOW