Watch This Caterham 485 S Chase a BMW M3 Around the Nurburgring
Nothing like flying around "The Ring" in an open cabin sports car.
Even if it's not a race, it can be extremely satisfying to watch two very different sports cars go up against one another in the heat of battle. In this 11 minute video, we get to watch a BMW M3 Ring taxi sedan play a game of follow-the-leader with a Caterham 485 S on the Nurburgring. Although the cars are very different, they are each quick in their own right.
The Caterham 485 S is powered by a 2.0-liter Ford Duratec engine making 236 horsepower and 151 lb-ft of torque. The combination of 236 horsepower and a dry weight of 1,157 pounds allows the Caterham 485 S to hit 62 mph in 3.4 seconds...and easily stay on the tail of the more powerful BMW M3.
The particular BMW M3 being used as the RingTaxi is a 2016 BMW M3, powered by a 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 making 425 horsepower. Due to the increased weight of the vehicle compared to the Caterham, however the M3 launches to 60 mph in a comparatively lazy 3.9 seconds. Neither vehicle will break any track records, but together, they make for a great video.
- RELATEDWho Should Caterham Build a Sports Car With?The company is now seeking a partner to develop an all-new, fully-enclosed sports car. Which automaker should answer that call?READ NOW
- RELATEDCaterham Uses Bicycle Frame Tubing to Make the Seven Even LighterTeams up with Reynolds to build a 1,070-pound car for a fair price, you can buy it in 2017.READ NOW
- RELATEDRide Along as the Nio EP9 Electric Supercar Runs the Nurburgring in 6:45.9Well, it's as close as you can get to the real thing while staring at a computer monitor.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Honda Civic Type R Roll Over on the NurburgringFortunately, both occupants escaped with only minor injuries.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 2013 BMW M3 CRT Is For Sale…for Nearly $300,000Legally, you'll only be allowed to drive it 2,500 miles a year.READ NOW