Watch the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Undergo Hardcore Off-Road Testing
In certain cases, smaller is better.
The Chevy Colorado ZR2 is classified as a mid-sized pickup, sitting below the Chevy Silverado, Ram 1500 and Ford F-150. The overall length of the truck is 212.8 inches compared to the Ford F-150 Raptor's 220 inches. The width is also smaller than the length of a half-ton at just 74.3 inches, compared to the 98.6-inch width of the Raptor.
When navigating tighter areas—let's say off-road trails—being smaller can often make maneuvering easier. It is also worth mentioning that a gas extended cab ZR2 only weighs 4,734 pounds. That is just 286 pounds more than a Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat (random comparison, I know). So between the smaller footprint, lighter body and Multimatic DSSV setup, the Chevy Colorado ZR2 has all the right tools to dominate the off-road scene. The Colorado ZR2 is also the only truck in its segment offering a diesel engine—a turbo 2.8-liter Duramax four-cylinder making 186 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque.
As you can see in the video below, the Chevy wasn't afraid to test the Colorado ZR2 in deep mud or on various types of uneven terrain. It's clear Chevy is pushing the the ZR2's off-road capability hard, but when it is in a class of its own, it is difficult to truly compare it to something. The Toyota TRD Pro is the only thing remotely in its class yet the off-road parts associated with the TRD Pro are no where near the level Chevy has equipped the Colorado ZR2.
Between the rail-on-frame rockers, heavy duty skid plating, frame reenforcement, shortened bumpers for improved tire clearance and front fascia deletes, the engineers ensured ZR2 didn't just have off-road badging, but parts to match.
Stay tuned for a full review of the Chevy Colorado ZR2 coming soon.
- RELATEDCheck Out This Awesome Video Of The Chevy Colorado ZR2 Undergoing TestingFirst off, it looks mean as hell with a lift kit and widened tracks.READ NOW
- RELATEDFirst Chevy Colorado ZR2s Roll Off Assembly Line Ready to Off-RoadOne of the first 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 will go to Chad Hall Racing.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Do The Desert SlideThis chipper off-road specialist looks great doing it.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevrolet Reveals Off-Road-Happy Colorado ZR2 in Gasoline, Diesel VersionsThink of it as a baby F-150 Raptor…made by the other guys.READ NOW
- RELATEDTake a Deep Dive Into the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor's Off-Road CapabilitiesThose are a lot of numbers you got there.READ NOW