How Many of These BMWs Can You Name?
An epic gathering of Bavarian metal at the 2016 Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion.
Every year since 1975, the Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion (née, Monterey Historics) has selected a featured marque. In 1981, it was Cunningham; in 1992, Miller, the methanol-huffing Indy car titan. More recently, Auto Union, Lotus, Chaparral, Maserati, Bentley, Shelby, and Alfa Romeo have all been honored. For 2016, it's BMW, as part of the automaker’s centenary celebration. The Bavarians are out in full force.
Check out the photo above. That’s a sheetmetal compendium of BMW motorsports, spanning 100 years of competition, all hanging out on-track at Laguna Seca. The Jeff Koon’s E92 M3 Art Car, Batmobile 3.0 CSL, Williams FW22 F1 racer, and Group 4 M1 Procar are all gimmes. But there’s some obscure stuff parked there, too.
How many of these BMW racing machines can you I.D.?
A larger version of the photo can be found on Rolex's site here.
- RELATEDRacing to Monterey in BMW's Spectacular M1We uncork Bavaria's 35-year-old vintage whine.READ NOW
- RELATEDFirst Shelby Cobra Ever Built Breaks Auction Records at MontereyPatinaed CSX2000 pulls a mint.READ NOW
- RELATED8 Pebble Beach Auction Cars You’ve Never Heard OfThese weirdos are funky flotsam on a beautiful tide of Mercedes Gullwings and Ferrari GTOs.READ NOW
- RELATEDDawn Patrol at Pebble Beach Is the Best Pebble BeachAt the Concours, the coolest hour is just before the dawn.READ NOW
- RELATED7 Unmissable Shelbys Going Up for Auction at Pebble BeachThe Carroll Shelby Trust just furnished seven iconic Mustangs, Cobras, and an Omni from its private collection.READ NOW