Transforming a Volkswagen Into a 740 Horsepower Guided Missile
Driving An HPA-Tuned Volkswagen Golf R That Thinks It's Godzilla
If you had asked someone in 1977 to predict what we'd be doing in 2016, they'd have said something like "flying around in hovercars," or "hunting wayward androids." But if you'd told them about a 740 horsepower Volkswagen, they'd have laughed you right out of the Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips.
HPA Motorsports of B.C. made this astounding-feat-of-the-future happen. It all started when its technical partner, Germany's HGP Leistungssteigerungen, adapted the European Audi TTRS's 7-speed DSG DQ500 transmission to VW's 3.6L VR6 engine. Such a stout gearbox matched to the hugely tunable VR6, now fitted with twin turbos, opened the door to a Golf R with more power than a Dodge Hellcat.
But is it drivable? That's where Matt Farah came in. Let's see now...
- RELATEDVolkswagen Using 3D Smartglasses To Build New GolfFrom windshields to driveshafts, VW’s Wolfsburg plant is going totally Buck Rogers.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Should Totally Buy a Volkswagen Golf R Right NowOpportunism at its fastest.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Volkswagen Golf Might Get A FaceliftREAD NOW
- RELATEDDrive Video Deep Cuts: A Man, a Plan, PanamaMatt Farah travels up the Panama Canal without a paddle.READ NOW
- RELATEDHow Furious 7 Magically Filmed Paul Walker After His DeathBrian O’Conner was behind the wheel for one last drive. How? Science.READ NOW