The Best Day to Buy Airline Tickets
New report from Expedia and the Airlines Reporting Corporation says it's not Monday, It's not Tuesday ...
The Best Day to Buy Airline Tickets is Sunday
A new study by Expedia and the Airlines Reporting Corporation analyzed billions of passenger flights in the first 10 months of 2016 and found that the best day of the week to buy is Sunday, especially so with 21-day advance purchases.
On Sunday, Prices are 30% Less in Europe and 11% Less Domestically
Weekends in general are a good time to buy, but don't buy on Friday when lots of business travelers are snatching up tickets at the last minute. And whichever day you choose, check back a few times a day because airlines frequently change prices during the day. Sunday prices can be 11% less than Friday prices on US flights. Sunday prices from the US to Europe can be 16% less and Sunday bookings originating and remaining in Europe can save 30%.
Buy Airline Tickets 21+ Days in Advance
Buying airline tickets 21 or more days in advance can save you 30% on flights to Europe and 17% on travel within the United States. Some routes can even be discounted as much as 30%. The Expedia and Airlines Reporting Council report says that a recent fare search for a flight between Europe and the United States was $1,962 less than 21 days out and $1,293 when booked more than 21 says out.
Buy Flights and Hotels Simultaneously
Bundling, or buying hotels and cars at the same time as buying tickets, is an often overlooked method to make savings. Travelers can expect to save as much as $600 if they book hotels and flights at the same time, because industry rules allow big discounts in bundles.
Always Stay There Saturday Night
Expedia has found that booking a trip where you're there on a Saturday night will get you the best deal on most flights. In Europe, the cost savings can be as much as 57%. And the best part about this trick is that it works even when you're booking less that 21 days in advance and not on a Sunday. It works all the time. One caveat: In China and North Asia, a Saturday night stay can be more expensive.
- RELATEDHolland’s KLM Airlines Set to Offer Draft Beer on PlanesCall it the Mile-Heineken Club.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlaska Airlines Changed Flights So Passengers Could See a Solar EclipseWell, now we know which airline gets our business from here on out.READ NOW
- RELATEDCan Boeing’s 737 Max Change the Airline Industry?Or will it be just another missed flight?READ NOW
- RELATEDAutopilot Is Making U.S. Airline Pilots WorseAre the guys in the cockpit forgetting how to fly?READ NOW
- RELATEDDelta Grounds All Flights Worldwide Due to Computer OutageLimited departures have resumed, but continued delays are expected.READ NOW