Check Out This Sweet Video Of A Smart Bomb Laden B-52 Going After ISIS
The BUFF is only getting finer with age, and in recent months it has been busy in the Middle East dropping hundreds of tons smart bombs on Islamic State fighters' foreheads.
The B-52H, which is quickly approaching its sixth decade of service, has become one of the stars of the coalition air operation to wipe out ISIS from Syria and Iraq. Like the B-1B "Bones" that had provided persistent, high-volume precision air support over Iraqi and Syria before it, the Big Ugly Fat Fucker is doing the same today—putting its SNIPER targeting pod to use not just in the targeting role, but also in the surveillance role. The video below gives us a little snapshot of such a mission.
The load the B-52 is carrying is impressive–a quartet of 2,000lb bunker-busting BLU-116 munitions with GPS/INS guided GBU-31 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) kits, as well as a similar amount of GBU-38 500lb JDAMs and a SNIPER targeting pod. Obviously one is for the heavy lifting and the other is for more customary close are support and strikes on smaller fixed targets. It is also possible the BUFF originally took to the air with six of each weapon on its wing pylons but had already dropped some by the time the tanker footage was taken. Also note just how much control input is needed to control the jet during takeoff and landing—classic B-52—an aircraft that has some of the most unique handling characteristic around.
Here is what the B-52 can do with that big smart bomb load:
The B-52 is going through a series of major upgrades that will only make it more deadly in the future, and finally getting the jet new engines is once again a hot topic within the USAF. A new "smart" rotary bomb rack designed for the B-52's large weapons bay will vastly increase the BUFF's smart weapons carrying capability as only the aircraft's wing pylons are wired to handle these types of munitions today. New data-links, sensors—in particular a radar—and defensive countermeasures will also be added to help the jet stay potent for what will likely be nearly another half decade of service. If Secretary of Defense Mattis still supports the Obama-era "flying arsenal ship" concept, the B-52 could also find itself fulfilling a whole new role in the coming decades as well.
Contact the author: Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDResurrected B-52H ‘Ghost Rider’ Reenters Active Service At Minot AFB“A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through the sky for he saw the riders comin hard... Yippie I aye ye ye ghost riders in the sky”READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy the B-2 Stealth Bomber Was Used to Strike ISIS Camps in LibyaAmerica's most valuable stealth combat aircraft might have seemed like an odd choice to bomb a target whose air defenses were neutered in 2011. It wasn't.READ NOW
- RELATEDEngine Falls Off B-52 During A Training Sortie Over North DakotaThe iconic bomber is literally begging for new engines.READ NOW
- RELATEDAll Three Of the USAF’s Bomber Types Congregate Unexpectedly In GuamThe USAF sends its bomber trio to the Pacific.READ NOW
- RELATEDUS Bombers Fly Closer to DMZ than Ever Before in Lame Attempt to Deter N. KoreaA deterrence gesture that really shows how the US is running out of ideas on how to keep Pyongyang in check.READ NOW