This Navy Cruiser Plows Through Some Nasty Swells Like A Boss
Someone should really shut that hatch.
Even with all the tech packed into a U.S. Navy AEGIS combat system equipped Ticonderoga class guided missile cruiser, it still has to fight the rough seas like any other vessel.
The Ticos were the first class to be built around AEGIS, but they were not an entirely clean-sheet design. Their hull-form and many of their machine systems were borrowed from the Spruance class destroyer. Because of that, the more massive Ticos have larger crews and more prominent command and control missions compared to the Spruance class. Additionally, the need to mount the large SPY-1 phased-array radars as high up on the ship's superstructure as possible didn't help with the class's top-heavy look.
From certain angles, the Ticos may appear somewhat overbuilt, but they slice through the water pretty damn efficiently—even in rough seas. Case in point: The video below, shot in the South China Sea, shows the USS Bunker Hill (CG-52) attempting an underway replenishment in some pretty nasty conditions.
That is a lot of ship full of a lot of weaponry pitching up and down. Because of the Ticonderoga class's high-set bridge, I bet the ride was especially fun for her bridge crew. Still, at least they weren't being battered by the waves like those sailors on the deck trying to resupply the ship while underway—a fairly delicate process, even without the heavy seas.
Contact the author Tyler@thedrive.com
- RELATEDA New Multi-Tool From the Navy SEALs KnifemakerThe SOG Reactor is all kinds of clever.READ NOW
- RELATEDNavy Admiral Wants Rail Gun For New Zumwalt-Class DestroyerThe Tesla of Destroyers may get some fitting electric firepower.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe U.S. Navy Is Getting Its Own V-22 OspreysThe tilt-rotor aircraft should begin making its way onto ships by 2020.READ NOW
- RELATEDDARPA Launching 132-Foot Drone ShipLike the Terminator, if Sarah Conner were a submarine.READ NOW
- RELATEDNavy’s Aqua-Quad Drone Is a Solar-Powered Sub-HunterAn ocean-drifting drone that can fly and trail sonar arrays to track Flipper or Red October.READ NOW